Very surprised

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlsmith

Reaction score
I must say I was really surprised this past weekend, my nephew brought me a rifle over to look at that I bought him years ago. So to make a long story short this rifle has been loaded close to 10 years he forgot that it was after alot personal problems and moving around alot so he wanted me to shoot it well to say I believed you could shoot it no I did not think you could. But I said well put a little powder in the drum an see well boom it shot off the first number 11 cap . Surprised shocked I was. The riflehas been loaded with triple 7 loose powder and a 240 great hornaday xtp in a orange sabot. All I can say wow it only took about a hour to clean it and it looks great by the way the rifle is a traditions 54 cal deerhunter.

10 years is a definitely a STRETCH! But as long as the powder stays dry it should set right off, it being a Substitute i would be more concerned about powder shelf life? From what you just described it sounds like shelf life is good, or life in a barrel :D

Yeah all I can say is I was really surprised happy but surprised I guess it lasts longer than alot longer than people say it will aleast in this rifle.

Like said keep the powder in a dry place an your good to go. I killed two deer this past season with T7 3Fg from a jug that has been open for at least 3-4 years. Spike buck was DRT, doe went about 20yds, instant ignition. I also use the powder from speed loaders I don't use during deer season to kill squirrels in my .12 ga. shotgun, powder so far has always gone off an I usually get meat to go with it. :yeah:

Back