Need some PRB advice.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was my first time shooting PRB’s. I went to the range with 3 .45 T/C’s, a Seneca and 2 Cherokees. My goal for today was to get them close to the bullseye at 50 yards and I accomplished that without any great difficulty. I was shooting a .440 ball w/ a pre lubed T/C pillow ticking patch and 50 grains by volumn of FFF Goex. Tomorrow I hope to do a bit of fine tuning.
The patches were getting shredded. Like there are just pieces of cloth downrange. So, what does that mean? Less powder or a different patch/ball combination or a different lube? I don’t know what to change?
2 of my daughters and I are going to shoot in a primitive biathlon Sunday, so for the time being keeping them on a 6” target at 50 yards is okay.

Could mean yer guns haven't been shot enough to break in the barrel.

Could mean yer pre-lubed patches sat on the store shelves so long they're deteriorating.

If yer barrels have been used and not properly cleaned at any point it could be rough or pitted areas cutting the patches.

Buy some pillow ticking from the fabric shop, cut and lube yerself and see if the results are the same or better or worse.

We spent a couple hours at the range, the more we shot the better the patches looked and the better the Guns shot. By the end, this is what they looked like. Do they look okay?
A4_BA9540-799_D-4_FBA-_A505-_D59_E09483_E0_A.jpg

QuinnTheEskimo said:
We spent a couple hours at the range, the more we shot the better the patches looked and the better the Guns shot. By the end, this is what they looked like. Do they look okay?
A4_BA9540-799_D-4_FBA-_A505-_D59_E09483_E0_A.jpg

yep look just fine.

Back