New .54 Cal Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Just recently bought another .54 Cal Hawken, this one was a Kit Rifle but you can’t tell it from factory built, I bought this from a local friend, he bought it brand new and put it together, he definitely knew Blackpowder and how to properly clean it, as this thing could easily pass as new unfired condition. Sure neat to see 1 in this kind of shape! This 1 does NOT have the QLA Muzzle, I plan on putting a Lyman 17 Globe on it and seeing what it will do? I really wanted it for the Stock, i have a Stainless .50 GM LRH barrel that needs a designated bed

When you say clean proper what are you cleaning steps if you don't mind me asking

Rlsmith said:
When you say clean proper what are you cleaning steps if you don't mind me asking

Oh Lordy! I use a durable Livestock feed bucket 4-5 Gallon capacity in my Bathtub, filled about 1/4 to maybe half, I pull the nipple and set it aside, Place the barrel in the bucket of water (nipple/breech end in the water) I use a good tight fitting patched jag and push that down, when you pull back it will draw water back up through the nipple hole, from bottomed out i pull up about 12” and QUICKLY push back to the breech, i want to Force water QUICKLY back through the Fire channel, Snail, and out the nipple hole (I have seen this referred to as ‘Slush Pump’) Push, Pull, Back n forth several times, I personally like to use a bore brush and DEFINITELY use a good quality Bore brush that is ‘Loop Through’ designed, the press fitted type brushes are a Disaster waiting to happen in a Sidelock Muzzleloader, Avoid the cheap brushes!! Caines outdoors sells the good ones in both 10/32 and 8/32 thread pitch. I use a small amount of dawn dish soap on a patch and push that back forth full strokes several times, then do the same with the Bore brush, And finish with Patching it, Do this til your patches are clean. At this point i take an old tooth brush with some dish soap on it and scrub the Bolster/Nipple area REALLY good and up about 10” or so of the barrel, this area gets a certain amount of blowback residue and needs to be cleaned good, i have seen lots of guns rusted and pitted badly in this area. Once the barrel is fully clean i remove it and use a bath towel to dry the exterior, Then i run several dry patches through the bore. At this point i head to my Air compressor which is conveniently in my house ready to go! I blow compressed air all under the under rib, sights, etc. to dry excess moisture I couldn’t get with the towel, lastly i give a good solid blast of air, several seconds long through the nipple hole with the barrel pointed down, keep the barrel pointed down and run a few more dry patches through. When you are confident you have the barrel BONE DRY, it’s time to move on to the Lock/Hammer, I clean my Hammer EVERYTIME, and the lock every few outings between, The hammer Face gets blowback powder residue on it and will rust if not cared for, I remove the Lock, Or just the Hammer, I use a little handheld steam cleaner for the Hammer, The Lock, and the Nipple. On a DEEP cleaning of a new gun i use the steam cleaner through the nipple hole and get the barrel HOT, REALLY HOT, then Dry patch it, you will dig out crud you had no idea existed. I have found accuracy to be VERY NEGATIVELY effected with Slip fit Paper Patched bullets after Steam cleaning, The Cold clean Bore shot goes COMPLETELY AWOL. I missed a 3X3 foot Square target everytime i tried it, BE AWARE! After the initial cold bore AWOL Shot my rifles settled back down and shot perfect, Grease Groove bullets, and i would Guess PRB? is WAY less effected. After you get everything clean, and dry, then oil/lube everything well to prevent rust. I am sure i missed something? But this should get you close

Thank you that is alot of help and seems simple enough. I have bought alot of cleaning products over the years but your way seem simple and cheap

((Oh Lordy! I use a durable Livestock feed bucket 4-5 Gallon capacity in my Bathtub, filled about 1/4 to maybe half, I pull the nipple and set it aside, Place the barrel in the bucket of water (nipple/breech end in the water)) I use real hot water with liquid soap.Do you use cold water?

jerseyjimk said:
((Oh Lordy! I use a durable Livestock feed bucket 4-5 Gallon capacity in my Bathtub, filled about 1/4 to maybe half, I pull the nipple and set it aside, Place the barrel in the bucket of water (nipple/breech end in the water)) I use real hot water with liquid soap.Do you use cold water?

I use Cool, to Luke Warm water that i can easily run over my hand, That is all that’s needed. Really hot water has a tendency to cause ‘Flash Rust’ on Blued steel, Stainless isn’t bothered either way. The important part is getting them clean, no matter the method you choose, just Get in there and get the gunk/fouling out of them ASAP, Dry everything up REALLY THOROUGH, then coat with a good oil to preserve. I personally don’t believe in the Bore Butter ‘Seasoning’ thing, That works great for a Cast iron Skillet, But my Barrels are high quality steel, i want them stripped clean after each outing, and what better to protect valuable steel with than a good quality oil? NOTHING, in my opinion anyway. My barrels look like mirrors inside, LITERALLY

Latest posts

Back