Upgraded to a Nicer Flintlock: "JP McCoy" .45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In addition to my inline Omega, a few years back I started messing around with an inexpensive flintlock and posed the question whether it would be "Fun or Frustration"?

Over time, it turned out to be both -- it was "fun" to tinker with to try and improve its reliability, but it was also "frustrating" when it could only get so far, and then no more improvements were realized. Guided by my twin brother, who'd been encouraging me to get a flintlock rifle for years, I had the frizzed rehardened, the frizzen spring lightened and the tail of the frizzen reshaped/polished. I added a stainless steel touch hole liner, polished all the bearing surfaces of the lock and kept trying to improve it. It turns out, after talking with folks more experienced with flintlocks than I was, that the geometry of the lock itself was just all wrong... That's why I had the erratic performance out of it, despite getting really good at mounting and knapping flints and everything else I'd done. In the end, there was nothing else to do. But I was finally hooked on shooting a flintlock, and having had enough of shooting an "el cheapo" version, I enlisted the help of my twin to find me something much better to use.

Oh sure, I drooled over all the $2k, $3k and $4k custom flintlock guns that are out there, but those are all too rich for my blood. And while I've heard the Pedersoli locks were the best of the imports, I really didn't want yet another foreign-made flinter to mess around with. So my twin found me a good compromise -- it's a "JP McCoy" .45 cal flintlock as made by JP Gunstocks, formerly of Las Vegas NV. I've read that JPG made "semi custom" flinters using Orion barrels, L& R locks (mine has a Manton lock), decent double-set triggers and good hardware, usually with very fancy maple stocks too. I could have spent a lot more, I'm quite sure of that; but for less than the cost of a new import from Cabela's, I believe I got a really nice Pennsylvania-style flintlock to have some fun with at the range.

So far, I've only put 10 balls downrange with it, but all 10 shots went off quickly -- and with only 10 pulls of the trigger, as compared to it taking 15 or 20 tries with the other one I'd had... With the L&R Manton lock and a sharp flint on board, she sparks really well.

The best part is -- she's quite a good looker too! I love the stripes of the maple stock, which contrast well with the browned barrel. Here she is...

f0I0BZh.jpg

VNXehso.jpg

E2f7MVg.jpg

4aEJmBz.jpg

Now I just need to adjust the sights and practice more on the hold & follow-through, and while I'm at it -- I might as well "Aim small, miss small" too!

Tight groups.

Old No7

I'm jealous! Looks sweet!!! Hope she shoots as good as she looks... nice find.... you owe your brother big time.

TheMoose

Nice Rifle and that is one nice piece of Curly Maple! Lots of Tiger stripes! 8)

Re: Upgraded to a Nicer Flintlock: "JP McCoy" .45 cal

[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back