Lyman recall

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba.50

Reaction score
just got an email from Midsouth regarding Lyman issuing a recall of their guns due to separation of the breechplug upon firing. no injuries, just precautionary. guess you'd haftacontact Lyman to see what models/years affected.

Saw that on another forum. looks like some bad BP castings

attachment.php

attachment.php

Re: RE: Re: Lyman recall

Squeeze said:
Saw that on another forum. looks like some bad BP castings

attachment.php

attachment.php
Yikes that's not good !

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I was getting ready to buy one of the great plains 54 have to think about that now

The recall Serial No. is between A595960–A599026 buddy of mine Just bought one of these, i had him check it and his No. is A599020, Talk about crap luck! LOL, I almost bet anything mine is it as well, won't know til I get home.

Idaholewis said:
The recall Serial No. is between A595960–A599026 buddy of mine Just bought one of these, i had him check it and his No. is A599020, Talk about crap luck! LOL, I almost bet anything mine is it as well, won't know til I get home.

I just checked my Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle and i am NOT in the recall, i am several hundred before the beginning. I also Checked my New Lyman Plains Pistol (Stil in its Box) and it is also out of it, it starts at A585

Apparently, that's the only one public, It happened to that one guy, and he sent the info on to lyman (investarms) and they recalled the entire lot. Those photos are from a thread a few months back, and the company voluntarily recalled the lot.

Squeeze said:
Apparently, that's the only one public, It happened to that one guy, and he sent the info on to lyman (investarms) and they recalled the entire lot. Those photos are from a thread a few months back, and the company voluntarily recalled the lot.

That picture floating around definitely gets your attention, Bad things can happen to ANY Manufacturer, personally I think that was caused from the Plug being EXTREMELY Over torqued? Weak spot in the metal, and then over stressed? Who knows exactly why it failed there?

One thing I don’t like about my Lyman GP Hunter is the underlugs being lightly Spot welded on, i have seen pictures of those popped loose. I Sure wish they had Dove Cut them in, Anything besides the measly little tack on lookin job

Glad those pictures were posted. I was curious to see what the failure looked like.

Idaholewis said:
I think that was caused from the Plug being EXTREMELY Over torqued?

^^^That was my first thought as well, although a low quality casting could be at fault too or a combo of those two.

I checked my Lyman Great Plains .54cal and it is 158xxx, so I am good to go!

Latest posts

Back