HAMMER PROBLEMS ON TC PRO HUNTER

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutnstrut47

Reaction score
Just recently purchased a TC Pro Hunter FX from Cabelas. During the process of sighting in the gun i noticed on several occasions when i was ready to shot i had trouble pulling the hammer back. It did not want to cock back and on several occasions i had to open the breech and close it to allow the hammer to cock. I check inside the breech area and also checked the primer to see if it was sticking out, but all appeared fine. When these incidents occurred i noticed the resistants also moved the trigger and figured the problem was in the trigger mech. or the breech was not fully closed, but with this i attempted to open the breech it appeared to be locked. I called TC and talked with a spec. that stated they have not heard of this problem. Their answer was the breech was not fully closed, which disabled the hammer from cocking. They recommended to check the speed breech to see if it was tightened down and if so check to see if the promer is fully seated. They said that if the problems persist i might have to dremel out the primer pocket. I would not attempt this and i would send the gun back. Have you guys experienced this and if what was the resolve.

If your using Winchester primers, they are longer than say, CCI or Federal. You could try them to see if that helps. Just a thought.

It happens on a few break actions. Maybe its part of a safety feature, im not really sure why it happens.

I was experimenting with custom plugs to fit various primers better and some other reasons. I found if the primer was too long or did not seat far enough in the pocket, i could not pull back the hammer on the Accura V1.

Casper is correct, most of the time a Win209 is the longest primer. The new ones in the White Box may be a tad shorter but i haven't found any to try yet.

You may want to try a CCI209M or FED209A if you want a mag primer. Both are shorter than a Win209. Mag primers are not needed with most subs but in longer plugs they do usually work better with BH209 especially in extreme cold. The Rem STS primer is about the shortest but the taper is a bit different and they might not seat deep enough either. Its a great primer if they work for you but a bit over priced IMO.

Bellm has shims for the Encore/Pro Hunter firing pin bushing. Im not sure if they will fit a FX model but if you have a primer that is a tiny bit too short they will tighten up the head space. They are very cheap and a good way to permanently tighten things up a bit if needed.

I just got a Pro Hunter and am having the same problem with the hammer cock and I was using Win Primers. If no primer in gun it never fails to cock. I called TC and they are sending me a return label but I think I will try another brand of primer first. I really don't want to take the scope off to send it back- just got it sighted in.

I just purchased a Pro Hunter FX and having the same issues. Also using Win Primers. Did switching to a different primer fix your issue?

Woody12 said:
I just purchased a Pro Hunter FX and having the same issues. Also using Win Primers. Did switching to a different primer fix your issue?

Normally switching to the shorter Remington or CCI primer will cure the problem...

Snap the action closed HARD. This will solve your problems. TC uses CCI primers to set the headspace not Win 209's. You can either switch to CCI or keep using the Win 209's. Easiest thing to do if you want to continue using Win 209's is to sit on the couch and take a bunch of primers and put each one in the plug and snap the action closed hard on each one, take it out and put it back in the box. Now all the primers will be crush fitted and you will be able to close the action gently.

I had the same problem

Same gun.... I called TC and they told me its the Winchester primers that is causing my problem. I checked and the Win. is .003 longer then the CCI.
I went to Bass Pro today and guess what.... All the had was Winchester 209 primers.
Guess I'm off to Cabelas tomorrow.

It would be interesting to see what change, if any, the posters who complained of cocking problems, may have been after switching primers. I really don't see any here.......

Did closing the action hard crush fit the primers and then thereafter it cocked properly? There's also one other possibility that could cause the problem, which is the hammer spring itself being a tad to long, not allowing the trigger to rebound properly. If..... that's an issue, its easily fixed by LIGHTLY grinding the end of the hammer spring down until it cocks and remains cocked.

How about it? Were the problems resolved by changing primers?

Encore50
I took the balance of my win primers and closed the action hard. They all fit now

Re:

sabotloader said:
Woody12 said:

Normally switching to the shorter Remington or CCI primer will cure the problem...

Had the same issue and solved with std. CCI primers.

old post but I can tell you my experience is if breech plug is not righted down hard with the wretch /tool they give you
it wont cock either. I use Winchester primer's. and haven't had a issues yet. but pre fitting them in the gun is a good idea.

unloaded gun that is

Latest posts

Back