Knight MK-85 Stuck Hammer Assembly

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archibear

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get this Hammer Assembly out?

I inherited a Knight MK85 and I'm trying to get it all cleaned up before I take it out. I'm having trouble getting the Hammer Assembly out of it though. I took the set screw out of the side and have tried some oil in there... but I can't get it out. I don't want to mess up the thumb screw finish but can't think of what to use besides some pliers! Maybe a strap wrench? Anyone have any suggestions?

:wall: :wall: :wall:

You can put some penetrating oil in there like Kroil. Take the barreled action out of the stock and take the trigger off. Put some Kroil in there and stand it up so it runs down the inside to the threads of the cap, Let soak over night and try again. If that don't work, and if you have a vice, put some strips of leather in the vice jaws and clamp the mounting lug block in the vice between the leather. Wrap some leather around the Hammer cap and use a set of Channel Lock pliers over the leather and see if it budges.

I agree. Soak that bad boy for a day or two and use a padded pliers. You could use a heat gun and heat it up a bit too. Let us know how you got along.

If that doesn't work get a pan and fill it with water and boil the water, soak the hammer assembly in the boiling water for a few minutes, I got this from ( sabotloader ) I had a few CVA Buckhorns that had stuck breech plugs, IT WORKS. Sometimes you just got to go back to OLD SCHOOL. :lol:

I can't really add much, other than if none of those good suggestions work, you can always put the wrench on it. They sell new hammer screws for relatively inexpensive.

My question, if the hammer is stuck...I wonder about the breechplug. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back