Accuracy Problem - Need Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forrest-hunter

Reaction score
I have an older traditions pursuit with redfield scope - shooting harvester sabot with 240gr remington 44mag jhp bullets + 100 gr by volume of 209 - shoot 3 shoots at 100 yds. 1st shot perfect - 2nd 4" high and 3rd 4" low - outside temp was in high 90's - any suggestions - really need help with this problem - just can't seem to shoot a tight pattern- wiped bore after each shoot. At 50 yds shooting 3" pattern- sighting in with shooting table and mechanical rifle rest - have used this system 7 mag and 300 mag at 200 yds so know problem has to with load or technique.

harvester green with .429 JHP remington bullets - shoot the same out of cva and had 3" group at 100 yds.

Harvester offers a green crushrib and a green smooth sabot. Which one are you using?

Any chance you can try a black sabot and a .452 or .451 bullet. Ive never been a fan of .429s in a ML. I had far better accuracy results with the .452 and .458 bullets.

I have tried both ribbed and without ribs - plan on lowering to to 80 gr by volume this week and see how it does - also have some 45 harvester sabots which I plan on using with some 300 gr 45-70 bullets with 100 gr by volume. If I don't get to shoot this week it will be September before I will have a chance.

Harvester sabots with a .458 bullet will likely be very tight. If they are too tight try the MMP Orange sabot. Its made for .458s

Try a new breech plug. My old Omega used to open up a bit after 400 rounds, depending on the load. Once the aperture erodes, groups open up. Same thing happens with nipples ( don't go there ;)>)

Back