Stuck Round Ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dradle

Reaction score
I have a T/C Hawkins early 80's. That was loaded without powder. Have tried using a puller but no luck. It is so tight it will not move. I have tried putting gun oil down the barrel in hope that it will help lubricate and get the ball to move.

I also had another muzzleloader tell me to remove the flash plug and load powder and then fire the ball out. I do not know if this is a good idea or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

The trouble is, now that you oiled the barrel it might be hard to shoot a dry ball out. BUT Take the nipple out of the screw threads.. then take powder (in your hand) and your nipple pick and start pushing powder down that hole. As much as you can. Dump some in then pack that down into the bolster. I try to get at least a couple grains down there. Then replace the nipple. Now take your ramrod and push that ball all the way down the barrel. Cap it, aim in a VERY SAFE direction as I have seen these dry ball rifles shoot 25 yards... and shoot it out. No danger in it at all. I've done it a few times myself.. :oops:

Another thing you can try is.. if you have an air compressor and a nozzle that shoots a small but powerful stream of air out (I use it to clean wood projects and dust my tables in the shop). Pull the nipple and put that very small end into the nipple hole. I like to wrap that nose of the compressor in Teflon tape. Have your compressor turned up as far as it will go.. and then start pushing air into it... I have blown the ball out this way SOMETIMES. When it does not work, then I go back to the other way, of packing powder.

I've used the method Cayuga describes as well. Doesn't take as much powder as you would think to get the ball out. If the amount of oil dripped down the bore is enough to get past the patch then maybe repeat the process a few times. Should burn the oil out the first time if it doesn't move the ball. Do make sure the ball is all the way full seated before pulling the trigger as Cayuga mentioned.

You really want some fine black powder for the easiest ignition and smallest particles that will trickle through the flash hole better.

Might be worth one of those CO2 things made to push a load out without shooting if all else fails.

stuck ball

Its no big deal to unscrew the hook breech plug and drive the ball back out the muzzle with wooden dowl or brass rod It gives you a chance to inspect barrel and plug for corrocion . Be carfull and don't scar up the barrel. Its the safest thing to do. Don't ask me how I know this.
Wayles

Be careful.. not all hooked breech ends will come out. Some of them are spot welded as well and all you end up doing is messing up the hook.

I like to remove the nipple an trickle some powder in the bolster. Works sometimes,if not use co-2 or air pressure.

remove the nipple, and screw in a grease zerk. then pump the barrel full of grease and push it out. This method works surprisingly well, and is much easier to clean up than you would think. (think cosmoline)

Latest posts

Back