T/C Triumph Problems - help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spitfire100

Reaction score
Having problems with my T/C Triumph. The breech plug gets very fouled and the gun wont shoot after only about 3 or 4 shots. I tried Trip 7 powder and pellets with Win 209 primers and same problem. The breech plug gets very fouled even on the outside where the primer goes. I'm also getting so bad delays in firing. The primer will go off and just as I'm about to give up the gun fires. In most cases it wont fire at all, but the delay happens frequently as well. I bought the Triumph brand new and it's only the second time using it. I sent a detailed email to T/C about this problem and looking forward to their reply. When I called them last week a woman suggested I use Blackhorn powder. I'll try this, but there is definately something wrong here since my good friend has the identical rifle and has none of these issues whatsoever using the exact same shot recipe. Any thoughts?

spitfire100

Normally I would say that excessive BP fouling in the fire channel is due to the primer not the powder.

Have you tried a different primer? In my Triumph I can shoot just primers (no load) over and over and never get any sign of fouling.

Another thing you might check are the 3 metal rings on the nose of the Speed Breech. Each ring has a break in the ring. These breaks must be adjusted so they do not line up.

The thing I would need to know is the flash channel becomming plugged or is the blow bac occuring around the outside of the plug.

Thanks, the blow back is on the outside of the plug where you would put the primer in. It literally turns black after about 10 shots. I will check the rings on the breech plug, but given the amount of times I've had to scrub it I would think they would not be lined up, but will check. A friend of mine has the identical gun and never has these issues. His breech plug looks like new when he is done shooting and mine is pitch black. It makes it really hard to clean under the breech plug where the gun breaks open as well. It just gets filthy.

Pardon my question, but what exactly is the 'flash channel'? If you are referring to the tiny hole in the breech plug where the flash travels through, yes, that gets clogged up as well, but I can clean that with a fine piece of wire. However, I still have the same problems. I called T/C and they were not much help at all.

spitfire100

Correct when I talk about the flash channel it is the channel directly under the primer down to the flash hole.

It is possible that your flash channel is partially plugged from primer residue. Shooting a hot or hotter primer will eventually cabon up the flash channel and normal cleaning will not get it. The hard carbon needs to be removed.

Most of use a twist drill of the correct size to clean this carbon out. The flash channel sould be much larger than the flash hole...

I make a 'Drill bit Stick' to this with...

IMG_0314.jpg

The drill stick is for cleaning just the channel - keep using your wire for the flash hole....[/b]

Thank you very much. Why do you suppose I'm getting all fouled up on the outside of the breech plug where the primer sits? It gets so fouled up the entire plug looks black with crud.

spitfire100

I am just guessing but if the channel is mostly plugged the primer is blowing back soot that should be going out in the barrel.

Do you have any other primers? I certainly would try a different one when you get the channel cleaned.

Thank you. I have some Remington Kleenbore primers a good friend gave me and I also bought some CCI primers as well. Now I have the Win 777 primers, Kleenbore and CCI. I also bought some Blackhorn 209 powder & Triple 7 powder. Plus, I have a new breech plug so lets see how all this works. Thank you for your help.

went to the range, cleaned out the breech plug and the gun fired well. I was getting some fouling on the outside of the breechplug with the triple 7 primers, but not much with the CCI. The problem was the presoaked T/C patches that were loaded with solvent. They were soaking the breechplug. Sometimes the pellets were dark from being wet. I twisted them hard to drain all the solvent out and out of the whole day had only one misfire and one hang-fire. I was using Triple 7 powder and Blackhorn powder with CCI primers. The gun was shooting 1-1.5" groups at 50 and 100 yds; 100 grain loose and 250grain shockwave sabots. I want to thank all of you for taking the time to offer helpful hints. The issue ahs been resolved. I now feel comfortable hunting with it. Believe it or not I think the gun shoots better with the triple 7 loose powder than the Blackhorn with a CCI primer in both cases. I now have 2 tubs of Blackhorn and 1 of Triple 7....I intend on using all of it soon. Thanks again everyone.

throw away the triple 7 and switch to Blackhorn 209 and never look back. and oh yes use a hand held drill bit to scrape out breech plug when cleaning. guy

Back