CVA Wolf breech plug/barrel issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my new CVA Wolf out today to get it dialed in. Using 95 grain (volume) 777, with Win 209a primer. Rifle was swapped out and plug doctored with TC breech plug lube. I swabbed the barrel every 2nd shot. After a couple rounds of this, I shot 2 consecutive shots without swabbing. So I procede to swab, and the breech plug is a bear to get out. After removing with pliers I noticed some metal filings. And the end of the breech plug looks abnormal. Unless I just can't remember what it looked like. Any thoughts? Tried to post pictures but it says Jpeg to large.

After looking at it more. It was actually metal fused to the end of the breech plug. The threads on breech plug are fine. But it won't thread into the barrel. Anyone ever have the threads in the barrel go to crap like this?

Your initial Post in the inline section was a good place to post this and will most likely get more traffic. You have 2 options on posting a Picture. Try using something like Microsoft Picture Manager and resize the photo smaller then try uploading, but a better option is to use an off site picture host site like Photobucket. With Photobucket you just put a link in your post and the picture will show up.

I personally don't have a CVA. I seem to recall that the CVA plugs have a thin lip on the end of the plug that when seated into the barrel fully custom fits that plug to that rifle. New plugs come with the special tool to seat the new plug to the rifle the first timer it is seated. Did you happen to drop the plug when cleaning or did it just cope out of the rifle that way? Never heard of one getting damaged on its own.

There are some guys that have a lot of knowledge on CVA plug like ronlaughlin. I would bet he will chime in soon.

Latest posts

Back