Sabot question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentstalker

Reaction score
My brother is shooting a .50 T/C omega. He is shooting the Barnes spitfire bullets with the supplied MMP hph12. They are really tight. Almost too tight. We tried the hph24 and they are almost too tight. Is there a sabot that falls in between the -12/-24 in diameter size? It seems the harvester crush rib black is slightly smaller in diameter than the -24's.

You might try the Harvester short smooth black. Where the crush rib was to loose in my Optima the smooth black was perfect. I can send a few if you are interested send PM. :D

We tried the hph24 and they are almost too tight.

I dont understand, what is wrong with "almost" too tight?

Is there a sabot that falls in between the -12/-24 in diameter size?

So you want one that is tighter than the HPH-24 which is almost too tight?

That was a typo. The -12 was too tight. (Barely fits with heavy pressure down the barrel.). Too tight if a follow up shot were to be needed quickly.
The -24 was really loose.
I am wondering if there is one from MMP or harvester that is considered an in between diameter between the two sizes.

HPH-24 .503-.504 with a .452 bullet
HPH-12 .506-.507 with a .452 bullet.

Im not aware of a 50x45 sabot that runs .505. You can either get a .450 sizing die (resize the bullet) and use the HPH-12 or try wrapping a rolling paper around the bullet and use the HPH-24.

Resizing a solid copper more than .002 isnt very easy but those Barnes are usually about .451 or a tad less.

The other option is try a MMP 50x458 and try one of the Barnes bullets in .458. They should measure just a tad under .458 which should end up close to .505. Lee sells a standard .457 die too BTW.

Latest posts

Back