sabot failure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chyhunting

Reaction score
Hello , I am brand new to the forum and I'm looking for help with my problem. I am shooting a Remington U.M.L. with 100 grains (by weight) of BH 209, T/C 200gr Shockwave bullets with the supplied "mag express" sabots. Believe it or not, after MUCH testing these bullets have been found to shoot the best. Consistent 1" at 100 yds.......My problem is sometimes I get a "flyer" that totally misses the target due to blowing the center out of the sabot. I believe the bullet is getting pushed out of the sabot before it exits the barrel causing it to go crazy. What do I do? The bullets shoot good but the sabots are failing! Can anyone recommend a replacement sabot that I can purchase that won't fail? I tried to log on to the harvester website but it will not connect, did they go out of business or something? I'd like to have some real world advice instead of going it alone this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou.

i use h5045lb harvester sabots with hornady 300gr sst with great results from my ru. the tc shockwaves I believe are the same bullets. harvester is still there but midwayusa sells their harvester sabots also. there are other folks on this site that know much more than I however. guy

have you recovered any sabots to see if they are blowing out... also your best bet is to call harvester...they love to talk an help...they will prob send you samples to try out to see whats works bet...

Al

Al-53 said:
have you recovered any sabots to see if they are blowing out... also your best bet is to call harvester...they love to talk an help...they will prob send you samples to try out to see whats works bet...]
Oh yes , I recovered all the sabots the other day , 3 "flyers" out of 15 shots and 3 sabots had the center CLEANLY blown out, the base never even expanded like usual. I wish I would have kept them to show a picture. It looked as if the molds were weak, I mean the center was punched out with no excess tearing of the surrounding plastic or anything, like you honed out the whole center of the sabot all the way out from the center until all that is left of the base is the same thickness as the "pedals" ... Clean, perfect hole.

Hot loads and a 50x40 sabot will blow alot...nothing you can really do about it. The MMP Mag sub base might help but dont get you hopes up. I drilled or blew the Harvester 50x40 Crushrib like they were butter too. They are no better than the MMP 50x40 and will load far too easy in some bores.

Believe it or not

I would fall into the "not" category. Ive never seen a 50cal that would shoot a 50x40 better than a 50x452 or 50x458 especially with hot loads.

In my gun the 50x40 shoots WAY better than the others I've tried including Parker, Hornady, Barnes, and Federal in every weight from 200gr. to 300gr. My first thought , before trying the . 40's , was that the thick sabots would be "sloppy" and wouldn't align the bullets very well in the barrel and they would be the worst of all. Not the first time I was wrong. I was looking at the sub bases last night. Did you try the bases to see if they helped? Its definitely frustrating to find a bullet that shoots good but I can't use. If any of the other bullets came close to the groups or consistency , I would just switch, but I just have not found one close. If the bases won't work I guess I have no choice but to go with a .45.

Forgot to ask... What does everyone consider a Hot load these days? I'm shooting 100gr. by weight of the BH209.

100gr by weight of BH209 is close to 150gr by volume so that is a VERY hot load. Those MMP 50x40s and even the Harvester 50x40s are known to blow with hot loads. Ask anyone who has tried them in a Savage with any Savage "book powder" load data. Many tried all sorts of things and they still blew/drilled/failed occasionally.

Does it not shoot well with less powder? That is the easiest solution if you are dead set on using a 50x40 sabot.

Latest posts

Back