Primer discolored

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitsud

Reaction score
Here's the setup:
CVA Accura MR Nitride with Blackhorn breachplug
90g Blackhorn powder
CCI 209 shotgun primer
Hornady FBP 300g

The issue:
Out of a four shot sequence, one of the shots will have the breach not want to open and that primer will be discolored by what I'm assuming to be blow back. All of the other primers come out and look clean. Out of the same 4 shot group, I'll have a flyer but haven't correlated the burnt primer to the flyer, will look at that the next range session. Also have noted that the firing pin is not hitting the primer dead center, upon inspection it looks like the firing pin is a little bent but I'm wary of trying to straighten it.

Any advice?

Is this a new gun? If so was the breach plug properly seated the first time you put it in? I know on my Optima the firing pin strikes the primer just slightly off center. I use Federal 209A primers and have had no problems. You can purchase a new pin bushing and spring kit for around $10.

Rangerod-
Yes, new gun. The original breach plug was immediately replaced with the Blackhorn and I did have a few moments of frustration trying to get the action to close all the way and engage so I could cock the trigger. It's very possible that I could have bent the pin at that time. New pin kit is ordered and on the way.
My real question is the burnt looking primmer and the break action sticking on that primmer.

See what happens with the new firing pin. You may want to o-ring the primer pocket. As far as the gun breaking open it may get better the more you shoot the gun.

Back