Help T/C Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EYates

Reaction score
I have an older T/C Omega probably 8-10 years old. For the past 7 years I've shot the same load. 100g of 777 240gr xtp. And Winchester black powder 209 primers. With sub 1" groups at 100yds. Year before last I started to play around with different loads and bullets combos. From loose 777 to pellets. From Shockwaves to expander. Not getting the results I wanted I went back to original setup. With not good results. Will not group at all. It's all over the place.

Thought it was my Scope. Not. Put new Redfield on same problem. Sent scope that was on it to Leupold nothing wrong. In fact put that scope on slug gun and it drives tacks at 100yds.

When sighting in I'm shooting off of a bench with sand bags. Just ordered a lead sled to make sure it's not me.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

There's a stickie in this section that might be helpful. Its called how to tighten an omega action. Good luck.

Make sure the stock isn't contacting the barrel; if it is, sand the barrel channel, so the barrel is free. Wrap some coarse sand paper around a dowel/broom handle, and you can do a nice job.

How bad is primer leaking?
Maybe your flash hole is burnt out

Just cleaned the breech plug. After some looking around the internet I hand drilled the flash channel with 1/8" drill bit. It was nasty. Then took a welder tip cleaner and cleaned the flash hole. Now to shoot.

How do you know if the primer is leaking?

EYates said:
Just cleaned the breech plug. After some looking around the internet I hand drilled the flash channel with 1/8" drill bit. It was nasty. Then took a welder tip cleaner and cleaned the flash hole. Now to shoot.

How do you know if the primer is leaking?
You will get Black soot on the sides of the primer and even back into the action.

How big of cleaner will go in flash hole. If .038 or larger replace breech

Used to shoot T7 in my Omega. Had to swap plugs around the 400 round mark. Accuracy would worsen. Nothing tragic, but groups would just enlarge with formerly accurate loads. New plug always put it right.
TC seems to be discontinuing parts on older models( Black Diamond breechplugs for example) so it would be prudent to get a few. You could also have your current plug drilled and tapped for a vent liner. Just swap liners when groups go large.

Latest posts

Back