Is my new gun trash?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
I'm new to muzzle loading. Got this TC New Englander today, first gun I have ever owned. I got it in a trade for about 150$ of ski equipment. The guy I got it from said that it was loaded so I didn't want to look down the barrel... He said it was fired less than 6 months ago, it was cleaned after that and has since been kept in his gun safe. He told me there were no problems in the barrel.
So when I got home I used my cell phone camera to look down there and It didn't look good. Here is a picture.. Did I buy a piece of crap?

Attachments

• IMG_1500 (2).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 371
So let me get this strait. The guy claims it was shot then cleaned 6 months ago but yet is loaded today?

The barrel may be able to be cleaned up but you need to unload it first.

That barrel needs to be unloaded, cleaned with solvents and checked for pitting, etc. It might need a JB Bore Treatment too. But that main thing is don't let that sit around as it will only get worse. I would bet it was shot about six months ago and then not cleaned or at least not oiled, and placed in a gun safe. He probably saw its conditions and decided it was time to trade it.

Put it this way, I purchased a used but near new condition New Englander for $135.00 plus shipping. They are a good rifle.

Latest posts

Back