New CVA Wolf won't group worth a $#!^ *Please Help*

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I recently purchased a CVA Wolf from Muzzleloaders.com. I have shot almost 30 rounds of Powerbelt aerolite 250grain ammo through it. I tried about 12 rounds of Blue MZ pellets (100 Grains) some at 50 yards and then on out to 100, and then switched powder. I am now using (2) 777 50/50 pellets (100 grains) and Federal 209 Muzzleloader Primers. I am using a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 BDC. My first shot of the day will be within an inch of the target. I then clean the bore the same way every time. 1 swab/patch of CVA barrel cleaner followed by two dry patches followed by a little CLP oil followed by a dry patch. I then fire a 209 primer through it, load it back up and it will be high and to the left (4"-6")almost every time. I am trying to be consistent in doing the same exact thing every time. BUT that second shot is always way off. I tried eliminating the CLP oil and my groups still end up high and left.

I have even gotten a friend to shoot it with the same results, I was thinking it was a warm barrel issue then changed my between shot cleaning procedure and as I mentioned eliminated the CLP, I got one good shot off then they started going high and left again???

Why is my first shot so good but every shot after that so bad?

This is all at exactly 100 yards (except the first few at 50 to get it close)

Most guns will have that first shot on a cold clean bore hit different then shots 2,3,4, etc. I would re adjust the scope so that it's sighted in to where the follow up shots hit.

03mossy said:
Most guns will have that first shot on a cold clean bore hit different then shots 2,3,4, etc. I would re adjust the scope so that it's sighted in to where the follow up shots hit.

So how do you deal with getting the gun out of the truck in the morning and hunting with it? I mean that first shot of the day is usually at whatever you are hunting correct?

I'd be ditching the pellets and go back to burning powder. The pellets just don't provide the consistency that powder propellants afford. I'd also suggest getting the BH209 compatible breech plug and trying that powder too.

Next in line I'd suggest getting an assortment of sabots [black sabots for .451 and .452 diameter bullets, green sabots for .429 and .430 diameter bullets] in the bullet diameter you want to shoot and buy some different weight pills to run down the range with several different powder charges. There are so many negatives floating around about the Powerbelts that I question whether you'll ever get any real accuracy with them. Hornady, Barnes and Lehigh make some incredible bullets that are long on accuracy in guns like yours and others similar.

The Wolf is a decent shooting gun but I think it would be more of an accident if you found accuracy nirvana using a pellet/powerbelt combo.

Another thing to think about is that you'll probably need to toss close to a hundred rounds down the tube before it is close to being "shot in". Finding a great load will take some time and shooting.

One thing you might want to check are the scope mounts. Especially if it's spraying your shots consistently. Just a thought.

I concur with the no pellets too. You can do a better job of tuning it with loose powder. Good luck and hope all goes well.

Good call on the scope mounting screws, Smokepole. I Lock-tite all of the mounting screws on the scope hardware...base screws, ring screws....using the blue formula. This is medium setting and screws can be loosened again if needed without heat. I assemble everything dry and hit the range for a few sight-in shots, then after cleaning I loosen one screw at a time and hit it with the lock-tite and re-tighten securely. I do this until each screw has been treated, then I allow a couple days of cure time before shooting again. Done as such you won't lose too much of your rough sighting and can now do the final shoot-in.

Most scopes button up real well on the bases and the bases today are very well matched for the application. However, the loads that today's guns are capable of handling create a hellish amount of recoil on the upper end of the maximum loads especially when heavy bullets/sabots are used. The BH209 powder can really shake things up even when they started out tighter than heck so I just take time to treat the screws and be done with it. Maybe do the same with your Wolf.

Back