Big6x6 bino report.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Last fall I decided to buy several popular binoculars in the same price range and see how they compared. Obviously, one can get REALLY great binoculars for $1000.00. MOST hunters seem to budget around $200.00 for binoculars so that's the price point I looked at.

Of course the OPTIC QUALITY is the main concern when buying binoculars. For one test, COMPLETELY subjective, I took as many as three different binoculars with me hunting and compared them. I would focus on tree bark, fencing, leaves, limbs, birds, deer, WHATEVER was available in different lighting conditions. Another objective test involved setting up a Snellen eye chart at 75 yds and reading the letters in varying light conditions. I used my Swarovski SLC 10X42s for the reference standard. Here are the results in increasing order of optical clarity:

Sightron SII 10X42 Waterproof
Past experience with Sightron optics has proven them to offer good optics and a good price. In this case the price WAS good but the optics not so good, a big disappointment. During the field testing it became obvious these would be the ones to beat for worst optics. The SIIs focusing adjustment is also very stiff to focus making one handed glassing next to impossible. The optics are the same from edge to edge which can be described as cloudy when compared to the other binoculars in the test. In the oblective testing I was able to read all of line 7 and most of line 8 on the eye chart in good light. The Sightron SIIs weigh in at 1lb 14oz with strap attached. Made in the Philippines.

Nikon Action 8X40
These were the least expensive binoculars in the test. Certainly not bad binoculars, but only slightly bettering the SIIs in compariative testing. The image was not clear edge to edge with distinct clouding of optics around the edges of the FOV, about what was expected. As with the SIIs, I was able to read all of line 7 and some of line 8 on the eye chart. The Action 8X40s weigh in at 1lb 13oz with strap attached. Made in China.

Steiner 8X30 Predator
These are my personal binoculars that I have used for several years. They are also in the running for most expensive binocular in the test. Although I didn't get to use the Predators on the eye chart test, I did compare them extensively in the field. Some of the less expensive binoculars put them to shame. I was VERY disappointed with the 8x30 Predators during the subjective testing. Made in Germany.

Fujinon 8x23 Air Drop(AD) **BEST BUY**
These are compact binoculars. VERY good compact binoculars at that. The ADs are unique in that they offer BETTER than U.S. Mil Spec! They are waterproof, unsinkable with neckstrap attached, and withstand a 40g shock test, even 200g shocks! Optically, they are the equal of the Wind Rive Mesa. GREAT compact binocular! I could read all of line 8 and some of line 9 on the eye chart. Weight 1lb 3 ounces with strap attached. Made in Japan.

Leupold Wind River Mesa 8x42 **BEST BUY**
The Mesas are the first full sized binoculars that I would actually use personally. The images were very clear even during poor light. The Mesas had several features that were nice: waterproofness, a nice neoprene strap, locking focus adjustment, and screw in/out eyepieces. During the objective testing I was able to read all of line 8 and some of line 9 on the eye chart. Weight was 1lb 12ounces, strap attached. Made in China.

Fujinon 8X32 CF
This is a semi-compact sized binocular. 100% waterproof. The optics were sharp and the adjustments precise. Initially, during my in the field testing, I thought these would be the ones to beat. They were close but not quite the best I tested. The image was clear from edge to edge. I could read all of lines 8 and 9 with these binoculars. I would certainly be happy using these all the time. Weight 1lb 10 ounces. Made in Japan.

Konica Minolta Activa 8X42D WPXL **BEST OF TEST**
Long name! It doesn't matter, these were a surprising best of test. These binoculars are waterproof and the only ones in the test to be fog proof. The eyepieces are the screw type which are an improvement over the fold-down type. The optics are bright and crisp and clear from edge to edge. I could read all of lines 8 and 9 on the Snellen eye chart. Weight 1lb 7 ounces. Make in China!

Swarovski 10X42 SLC 10X42
Not really in the scope of this test. Of COURSE I liked these the best! These were the only binoculars of the test that would read to line 10 on the Snellen chart. Weight 2lbs 4 ounces. Made in Austria.

2005rangepics%20019.jpg

TOP: left to right.. Swarovski 10X42, Minolta 8X42, Fujinon 8X32
CENTER: left to right.. Leupold Wind River 8X42, Sightron 10X42, Nikon Action 8X40
Botton: Fujinon 8X23 AD

Great product review, seems very thorough.

A couple of years ago I was in the market to purchase some binoculars and wanted to spend around $400. A fellow employee was selling several brands out of his home and mentioned the Swift binoculars.

For comparison, he brought a pair of Zeiss 10x42 and it's light transmission specifications. Comparing those Zeiss binoculars to the Swift 10x42 specifications as well as several visual fortays with each,I came to the conclusion that the Swifts were very,very close and only a third of the cost. Payed $250.00 for the Swifts. I believe they sell for around $350.00 now.
Highly recommend the Swifts. Excellant workmanship and quality also. :D

Very good report there Chuck! But you forgot Zeiss!! I sure like mine Diafuns 10x30's. Light and crisp. I would love to see where they fell on your chart. I am thinking about getting a second pair for CO this year!

Swarovski 10 x42 EL's are what I use.. I found a great price on the new zeiss conquest 10 x 30. Has anyone used these or even looked through them.. I am interested in these because of the compactness and lighter weight than the swarovskis I use. If anyone has used these or looked through them let me know what you think. Thanks JOEL

Chuck.

I reviewed this a few times and looked at some of the other more expensive options...... I went with the 10x50 Leupold Wind River Mesa Binoculars. Altho much bigger than I really wanted. I figured they were best for what I was willing to pay.. Plus with your input here, I know I'll have a solid set of binos.

I'll let you know how it goes.

J.J. 8)

I went with the 10x50 Leupold Wind River Mesa Binoculars. Altho much bigger than I really wanted. I figured they were best for what I was willing to pay.. Plus with your input here, I know I'll have a solid set of binos.

I have no doubt you'll like them! 50mm binoculars are a little big for me when doing a lot of walking which I normally do out West. I like 40-42mm for that. RARELY is exit pupil ever an issue during Western-style hunting. Now for stand hunting over bean fields they are CERTAINLY the way to go! Loggy has those 10X50 Mesas which he is crazy about. You'll certainly like the optics.[/i]

Big Brown truck dropped THEM off today.. All I can say is WOW! I am very pleased with them! They are big, but they met my price point and I am VERY happy with the clarity and ease of use. They are about the same size as my Bushnell 16x50's.. but that is where the similarities end!

I also picked up the Bino Harness from Cabelas.

Thanks for the review! It was an informative guideline for my purchase! I can already see the Pronghorn through these babies!!! :D :D

J.J.

You're welcome JJ! You probably can not beat those for the money! Another excellent Leupold marketed product!

Leupold Wind River Mesa 8x42

Thanks alot for selling these to me Chuck. :) They are alot better then i expected for sure. I have been toying around with them the last couple day's. Your report is 100% correct with my eyes. 8)

Thanks Chuck
Per your report I checked out the Fujinon 8x23AD and found a pair on E-Bay. I needed a light pair to hunt elk with (drew ML tag yesterday) They are great for small Bino's. Don't know yet about the life preserver strap.
I paid $90 (NIB) for them. I hope that was a fair price.
I carry Wind river 10x50 on my morning walk but I was getting a stiff neck so these will be used for that also.
Yesterday I took them out and saw my first fawn, Young Merganser's and a brood of woodducks right out of the nesting box.
Thanks for the recommendation
Redclub

Thanks again for the report...My Wind River Mesa 8x42 was on my doorstep Friday. I too got the bino strap from Cabelas. I'm very impressed with 8x42's, they are not too heavy or bulky for all day use. Clarity and light gathering seems to be just what I'm looking for in dark thick doug fir stands.

For flintlock hunting in PA, I needed binos to make sure I did not shoot a "protected deer". My 20-year old Steiner military 8x30 do not have enough eye relief to use with glasses, so they're a PITA to use. I needed something newer, with enough eye relief for glasses.

I picked a set of Burris Landmark 8x32 and am very happy with them. Optically, they seem better than my old Steiners, and I can use them with glasses. For a around $50, I'm pretty happy with them.

Chuck,

You forgot to mention the Swift Trylites in 8x42.....My fave for the $$$ :D

Big 6x6: Any recent binoculars to review? I found the post informative.

Would love to see a recent version of this test. Is that in the cards at all?
I just acquired a Zen Ray ZRS HD 8x42. So far I am impressed with them optically. Build seems okay, but I have had an issue with the eye cup in extreme cold. We will have to wait and see if that issue remains or improves. These binos are right there with my Vortex Talon HD 8x42, but are not in the same class as my Leica Duovid 8-12x42 as one would expect.

FH

Back