truglo 2x red dot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr1445

Reaction score
Truglo Red Dot Sight 2x42mm 2 Power Scope 2.5MOA TG8030B2. i picked one of these from ebay to use in "scout" set up on my black diamond. the forward mounted red dot keeps the action area open and there is no scope burn problem. the optics at 50yds are terrible, good idea with poor execution and not worth the price of admission.

I have two Bushnell RED DOTS here at the house. I came to the same conclusion. Great idea but just not the hunting quality I needed.

A bunch of years ago I decided that a red dot was the way to go for optics on a BP rifle. I went thru three different makers all with the same issue....I just couldn't acquire a clear target with a sharp dot. Next I tried a reflex and that went south in a hurry. Finally I spent some money on a 2X7 Nikon scope that allows relatively fast focus at the eye piece and some parallax adjustment and found heaven. I think the concepts behind the red dots and reflexes are great for some individuals but certain they are not a "one size fits all" answer.

My .50 Optima CVA pistol came with a red dot. It lasted for three shots [70 gr [volume] black powder and 250 /sabot. That whole nine yards was returned to the store and I bought a bare gun and shopped for a decent scope and have 0 issues with it even with a maxed out charge and a 300 gr bullet/sabot. I don't have much luck with electric anything when it comes to sights and my eyes really favor scopes so that's the direction I take.

I have had a few different red dots. Most have been sold down the road. The one I still have and use regularly is an Ultradot 30. It's a fantastic optic that has held up to 3 years of being pounded on with heavy 44 mag loads out of my Ruger Super Redhawk.

Back