Retired , wet newsprint, too many bullets = ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYBOB

Reaction score
I guess I'm just an experimenting fool at heart (Retired science teacher) I'm going on a muzzleloader elk hunt this Oct and I'm trying to decide on a bullet. So I just had to try this. Four bullets were shot at 50 yards, and recovered from the wet newspaper I placed in 5 gal. plastic pails. I cut the bottom out of the top pail put it on the bottom pail and placed about 30 in of wet newspaper in them . I laid them out horizontal and had at it! Does it prove anything ? Maybe , maybe not , but I had fun. I actually think the newspaper is tougher on a bullet than a critter is.

Comments?

FrontandBack.jpg

Data.jpg

That is pretty interesting. Although it's not a game animal test, it is enlightening. I wonder if the barnes and XTP hollowpoints are generating some shockwave because the entry holes are so large.

NYBOB said:
Comments?

Great job-- it is an excellent report. The only "surprise" to me was the relatively poor weight retention of the XTP Mag. :?

VERY neat report Bob! I really liked the pics!

IMO I would take one of the Barnes Spitfires and NEVER look back! If not the 245, the 285 may be the ticket!

Just my .02! 8)

I really think that the Barnes Expander and the plain XTP expand to a larger diam. faster and with less resistance, thus the larger holes. The XTP Mag and the Spitfire seem to expand slower possibly because of shape, composition of core, size of hollow point, or you name it. One thing that really inpressed me were the respective holes 10 - 12 inches down into the newsprint. The plain XTP left a cavern. some 2-3 inches across and 8-9 inches deep. I couldn't find any of that newspaper anywhere. Same for the Expander. The XTP Mag and Spitfire left smaller diam. holes (1-1 1/2 in.) but their caverns went down into the paper deeper than the others. All bullets stopped leaving an oversize hole and continued on leaving a hole only the size of the expanded bullet until they stopped at the depths I found them at (see chart).

So which one would I shoot at an elk ? actually inside 150 yds, any of them. I want to shoot them all at 200 and do some more work with the ballistic software. Maybe even shoot the newsprint over again at 200 yds. Who knows?

Very neat Report BOB... I do like it.

Interesting indeed! Conicals leave those BIIIG caverns you are talking about.. wonder how a 495 NE would fair?

Great report, I'm really interested in seeing your 200 yard test. That's what would separate the men from the boys.

Doohan said:
got time for a 200 sst ? or 250 sst?

I would like to see that test also! And a penetration test at 200 yds. also! How about it NYBOB?? That was an excellent report, thanks!

I'll start saving up newspapers again. You have to change them each time you shoot to be fair. Each shot "Uses" just under 2 feet of paper, times four bullets plus two new bullets= 12 feet of folded wet newspapers. I'll work on it , it may take a while.

(I'm dancin' as fast as I can)

You might be able to get more newpaper from a recyling center. Then you could shoot more and we would not have to wait so long for the results. Keep up the good work. It may not be the same as shooting a deer but it does give a comparison with different bullets in the same medium.

Great Post NYBOB,
I can only think that it would be any better if you was to use ballistic gel though the cost would probably be prohibitive. I wonder if wet phone books would be easier to manage. I would use any of those bullets for your trip though I would weed them out in a five shot group review. A bullet that goes where you want it the first shot would be a real confidence builder for that Elk trip.

jims said:
You might be able to get more newpaper from a recyling center. Then you could shoot more and we would not have to wait so long for the results.

:shock: As far as "WE" having to wait so long for the results, surely no one expects just Bob to do all their shooting for them? :? :? :?

We even have newspaper here in Plainfield.

RandyWakeman said:
jims said:
You might be able to get more newpaper from a recyling center. Then you could shoot more and we would not have to wait so long for the results.

We even have newspaper here in Plainfield.

We heard you had those too, and were soon to get electricty, but indoor plumbing was still away OUT!

We have the "world's friendliest garbagemen."

If a Plainfield garbageman stops by your house, and you don't have any garbage-- he just leaves you some.

Latest posts

Back