Retired, wet newsprint, too many bullets= (con't)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYBOB

Reaction score
Finally saved up some more newspapers and shot a little more. All were shot at 50 yds, as before.Velocity and penetration slightly less compared to last time due to powder I was using( more accurate. ) Bullets are SST 250, SST 300, and Barnes Original 458 300 gr. Paper was re- packed between shots. The long and the short of it: 250 SST acts like a varmit round, left a huge channel but disintegrated, looked like someone put "Sparkle" paint down the hole from all the micro- fragments, only picked out the 6 largest. 300 SST even larger channel and was a perfect mushroom. Barnes Original also cut a nice channel and retained 95% of it's wt.!

Threemorebullets.jpg

Bulletsfrontandback.jpg

Nice report once again, Bob! You do some thorough reports, that's for sure! I'm kinda surprised about the core/jacket separation on the .458 Barnes Original though. I figured that was a pretty tough bullet. Thanks for taking the time to post your findings!

Bob:

Thanks for taking the time to do the testing and posting the results. The results were interesting! For the 300 gr. SST to look so good, but remembering how many people had bad results on whitetails. I'm suprised how the Barnes Orig. came apart. The 250 gr. SST cama apart like a varmint bullet, that's for sure!

I'll have to chrono my deer load. I've used the 250 SST exclusively and have had pass thru performance with all my deer. Ranges of impact are from 30 Yds to 160 Yds. 44 gr. IMR 4759 is what I use in my ML-I.

Another EXCELLENT report Bob! :shock: I have moved this thread HERE with the original thread!

Thanks again Bob!

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
I've used the 250 SST exclusively and have had pass thru performance with all my deer. Ranges of impact are from 30 Yds to 160 Yds. 44 gr. IMR 4759 is what I use in my ML-I.

Scott,

Shoulder or lungs?

Hey Bob!
Thanks for the report! I really enjoy reading these! Interesting to note that all bullets gave 16 inches or more penetration. That's enough for most jobs!

Keep up the good work and keep 'em coming.

Great information Bob. I have been shooting SST250 also..... I thought it was a little weak but that confirms I need to look for another bullet though. I heard somewhere of SST250 disintegration on deer previously. maybe big6's deer?

Harry,
One thing... His 250gr SST started out a 2320fps. You can't get that high with a Disc Elite.

The two deer you shot with the 250gr SST didn't complain did they? :lol:

I'm going to continue to use the 250gr SST, even AT 2320fps! :D

Might as well it still works at 2600 or just a lil under, I know 8) :lol: 8)

My two deer last year were shot with 250gr SST's in front of 130gr of 777 pellets and both were complete pass-thoughs at 100 and 120 yards ribcage hits one shot kills. M/V 2100fps so whatever that would be at 100 yards probably 1900fps. I'm suprised that they belew apart that bad.

I will still use them for deer up here in Ontario as I got all my friends using the 250gr SST's and we never had any issues on the 5 deer this last winter.

I might however try the 300gr SSt and see how it shoots out of the ole smoke pole .

thanks for the report!

Camper

Remember guys although an excellent ballistic medium, wet newsprint approximates muscle tissue. The chest cavity of a deer is much less dense and doesn't provide as much resistance to the bullet. Maybe that's why the 300gr SST doesn't seem to do as well as the 250. However, I have heard of bullet failure with the 250gr SST.

Whitesmoke

Great test. I would be interested in seeing what a roundball looked like at around 2000 ft per second and 50 yards.

Finally saved up some more newspapers and shot a little more. All were shot at 50 yds, as before.Velocity and penetration slightly less compared to last time due to powder I was using( more accurate. ) Bullets are SST 250, SST 300, and Barnes Original 458 300 gr. Paper was re- packed between shots. The long and the short of it: 250 SST acts like a varmit round, left a huge channel but disintegrated, looked like someone put "Sparkle" paint down the hole from all the micro- fragments, only picked out the 6 largest. 300 SST even larger channel and was a perfect mushroom. Barnes Original also cut a nice channel and retained 95% of it's wt.!

Threemorebullets.jpg

Bulletsfrontandback.jpg
Wow i didnt know this thread exsisted !!! Fairly new to MM . Ive been testing in wet newspaper for YEARS LOL !!! Its the best affordable thing there is . Went looking for idaholewis borescope review and found this . I just shared about tbis on inline muzzleloaderz . Cool , gettin the word out !!! Its a GREAT PREDICTOR OF ON GAME EFFECTS !!! lung shot or not wet newspaper works and IS A RELIABLE INDICATOR !!!

Latest posts

Back