Pontoons

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cayuga said:
We have a lot of very hard to reach pocket lakes. Sometimes the road to them is just a dirt trail with very little room. So I was thinking something that fits in the back of the truck. Might have to look at a Gheenoe. They are real stable, and easy to move around by yourself.

Mine is a Fishcat, and fits in the back of my p/u. I leave it inflated. I adapted a wheel for the front, pick up the back, and wheel it up a plank and into the truck. When I get to the pond, I wheel it down the plank and into the pond and remove the wheel..takes about 10 min. You can see the wheel in one of the pictures.. Hope this helps..

The Fish cats are good boats. My last two boats were Sportsmans Warehouse boats but they were actually fish cat 9 and a fish cat 10.
The fish cat 9 was a great boat. I used it to flat 38 miles down the snake river. The only reason I sold it was to get the fish cat 10. I thought I would put the gas motor on the 10 foot. I put the gas motor on it and the frame self destructed. The company was good about it. They replaced the frame. By that time I understood that those frames just can't handle that kind of stress. They can handle an electric motor just fine. The Outcast boats are great boats.

Oldfox, how do you like the more flat design on the cougar? I have been told that they are very stable. Ron

The one I have is a Water Skeeter 10 foot. It is a nice boat the previous owner had it on the Sacramento several times. It is real stable unfortunately it isn't made anymore. Great boat and very inexpensive if you can find one in good shape.

idahoron said:
The Fish cats are good boats. My last two boats were Sportsmans Warehouse boats but they were actually fish cat 9 and a fish cat 10.
The fish cat 9 was a great boat. I used it to flat 38 miles down the snake river. The only reason I sold it was to get the fish cat 10. I thought I would put the gas motor on the 10 foot. I put the gas motor on it and the frame self destructed. The company was good about it. They replaced the frame. By that time I understood that those frames just can't handle that kind of stress. They can handle an electric motor just fine. The Outcast boats are great boats.

Oldfox, how do you like the more flat design on the cougar? I have been told that they are very stable. Ron

Ron... They are very stable. I am 6'6 220 lbs, and have never had an issue with stability. Mine is the Fishcat Panther and has twin pontoons (4 seperate bladders)

. They are very stable. I am 6'6 220 lbs, and have never had an issue with stability. Mine is the Fishcat Panther and has twin pontoons (4 seperate bladders)

I read your post about the Fishcat Panther and was interested. So I started reading about them. They sound like a good unit. Are the pontoons good and solid .. say should I hit submerged rocks and stumps. I would not be going that fast, but then I'd hate to knock a hole in one of them things in the middle of the lake.

cayuga said:
. They are very stable. I am 6'6 220 lbs, and have never had an issue with stability. Mine is the Fishcat Panther and has twin pontoons (4 seperate bladders)

I read your post about the Fishcat Panther and was interested. So I started reading about them. They sound like a good unit. Are the pontoons good and solid .. say should I hit submerged rocks and stumps. I would not be going that fast, but then I'd hate to knock a hole in one of them things in the middle of the lake.

You would have to hit something mighty hard to puncture the outer layer Dave. It would have to be a very sharp object And remember you have 4 internal air bladders. That in it's self is a great safety feature

I scared myself good last fall, I dropped my fillet knife point first onto one of mine while floating the Klamath. I had forgoten my bait knife and was making do. It bounced of the pontoon and into my lap like a rubber ball. I got a small cut, the pontoon was fine. I have drug mine once or twice across some volcanic rubble getting out of the water when I was by my self. Nothing but a few scratches visible. If you get a good boat like a Fishcat you will be okay. They are made to float calm rivers and ponds so they can take some abuse. They are pretty durable.

kg6ysf said:
Anyone fish from an inflatable pontoon? I just got one last spring and thus far love it. It gets me on lakes with no motor restrictions and lets me float rivers I wouldn't be able to otherwise.
Fly gear, conventional gear, trout, salmon, steel head, bass, panfish, cats, it doesn't matter. Mine can be folded into a bag that could fit in the trunk of a small car. I know it fits in the back of my Jeep Wrangler and it's an older one not a new four door or Unlimited.

what make and model do you have? I will then be able to research it more. Oldfox really has me interested in the model he has, and Cabela's has a different brand on sale right now.

Water Skeeter isn't made anymore but are good boats if you look used if you are looking new a Fish Cat, Outcast, and Classic Accessories are good boats. I you can spend over a 1000 they get better and can go all the way to full custom boats. It really depends on what you want to spend and what you want to do with it.
If you want a boat you can fold up and put in the trunk of a compact car and take to any calmer water Class 1 or less rapids and little ponds or lakes, go with one of the three previously mentioned. There are a few more brands that may be good boats I just don't know them. I also don't know much about the more expensive boats. Well hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back