New personal best Sturgeon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
Yesterday I went fishing in the wind. It started out to be a good day so I took the long ride into the sturgeon hole. I stayed for about 2 hours and left. On the way back I found a spot that had a couple fish on the fish finder.

The wind was so bad I couldn't control my boat so dropped one bait close to the spot I marked the fish at and I nosed in to the bank.
I cast out with the other rod and started to get hit. Soon I had a tiny little sturgeon on. It didn't take long to reel it in. I just cast that one back out when my clicker started to go. I grabbed the rod flipped the lever and set the hook hard. At the hookset the sturgeon stated to strip line like crazy. I was still against the bank and my feet were on the ground. In seconds I was down to almost no line on the reel left. I hopped on to the foot deck and raised my feet up and clamped down on the spool with my thumb.

The fish drug my boat out into the waves and wind then started to drag my up wind. I was somewhat relieved because I got the uncontrolled situation back in my corner.

After dragging me up wind for about a 1/4 of a mile the fish turned around and drug me back up river (down wind) for about 1/2 mile. This was the first sturgeon I have caught that I have felt like I was in no control. The wind and waves didn't help. The fight and everything combined was about an hour long. I ran out of video at the end but you can see how big the fish was. It was way longer than my 7 foot rod. The wind in the video was bad so I made it as short as I could. Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
that is a great fish... pretty cool when the fish is almost as big as the boat.

Thanks guys. These are catch and release only so I used a sturgeon weight calculator. This fish would have weighed between 230 to 300 pounds. All I know is it was heavy. Ron

This video is awesome. My son catches two personal best fish and one is a giant. That fish jumps completely out of the water on camera. This is the picture check out the video.

Biggirl01_zps0bca117c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! That looked like a Lot of Fun! Congrads to Jacob! :yeah:

I have watched all of Ron’s Sturgeon Fishing Videos from his Pontoon Boats, It is an AWESOME Sight to see Such a HUGE Fish Jump like some of them do :lewis:

Fantastic Videos Ron and congrats to you son those were some nice big fish! I don't know anything about surgeons, but do people eat them? If so how do they taste?

Man I forgot these videos were on here.
I need to spend more time fishing but this grave digger job has me swamped all the time.

Fantastic Videos Ron and congrats to you son those were some nice big fish! I don't know anything about surgeons, but do people eat them? If so how do they taste?

Here in Idaho they are protected. We can catch and release but no keeping.
I used to work for a company that raised them. They were pretty good.

I have watched all of Ron’s Sturgeon Fishing Videos from his Pontoon Boats, It is an AWESOME Sight to see Such a HUGE Fish Jump like some of them do :lewis:

Also check out a Youtuber that is somewhere down in Panama or latin america. He fishes from an Outcast float tube with a Fly Rod and catches HUGE
Tarpon that jump and fight like hell. Its a RED Outcasts he fishes from and he might be from Europe.

I was watching Angler West TV and Steve Lynch from ProCure hooked a sturgeon accidentally while mooching for Coho salmon.
He was using a Daiwa line counter reel for salmon and when that fish took off in a hurry, he tried to stop and and break it off and
his reel EXPLODED, you see the top half of the reel come off in the videoand land in the river. LOL......😭

Are these white sturgeon? We have lake, short-nosed and shovel-nosed sturgeon here in the Minnesota primarily in the Mississippi, St. Louis and Rainy River watersheds. Our Lake Sturgeon are fish at a couple times of the year and get to be fairly large often topping 100 pounds.

Latest posts

Back