Sturgeon Fishing in Oregon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzle-loader

Reaction score
Had an awesome time this weekend Sturgeon Fishing on the Willamette River in Oregon. We caught a total of 45 fish, ranging from 24'' to 8 feet.
Will post pictures soon.

very cool!! What do you normally use for bait when fishing Sturgeon. We have them in Wisconsin, but I never went out specifically to fish them. I have a friend that spears them when season permits. They are very good eating. I have had smoked Sturgeon and it is wonderful.

Ya, Sturgeon taste amazing, for bait we generally use Shad, Hering or Squid. Its so much fun, you gotta get out and do it. Its crazy to think even the small ones we caught are between 20 to 90 years old.

My sister who lives on Lake Superior was telling me a friend of hers was out fishing the opener and hooked into a Lake Sturgeon. It took him an hour and a half on light tackle to get it to the boat. Since he had no Sturgeon tags, he simply landed it measured it (he claimed) and photographed it. My sister claims he told her it was over eight feet long which I doubt. I would love to see the photograph of it. The largest recorded Sturgeon from Lake Superior was recorded from 1903 and measured 457.2 cm (180 in.) long and weighed 181.4 kg (400 lbs.). The maximum life span of lake sturgeon is typically 55 years for males and may be more than 150 years for females.

They are a fascinating fish. I have watched television programs of people catching Sturgeons. All of them are really something to see fish of that size.

Absolutely, I would have believed her, last year we hooked into an 8 footer. It took my friend about 35 minutes to reel it up to the boat.

:huh?:

Let's get going with the pics :!: :!: :!:

Ray............... :wink:

I had a friend in Sandy, OR, that took me to a hatchery on the Columbia River. The sturgeon they had in there were amazing! Some I would say were even over 8 feet, so I can believe the size! They are an amazing looking fish, but a bit large for my crappie rods.... :wink:

Here is a pic from the weekend trip.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 1,117
Would that be a white sturgeon?

Nice looking country

Ya, we caught a total of 32!!! :D My fiance' out fished the entire boat by herself. It was a blast, I recommend going if you ever get the chance.

Back