Hello from Italy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltner

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I live in a small mountain town Enego, it is time that they are writing but I've never written so far because only today I purchased a .50 caliber Pedersoli Brutus ovation.
Tired of Bolt action is for two years that I have dedicated myself to the world of muzzleloading and with considerable success with the Pedersoli Gibbs .45
Now I want to try this modern muzzle-loading rifle, but I have to install kit primers 209 and the Weaver base and scope.
The twist of the barrel is 1:24, given that in Italy there is nn Pirodex dust or the like, but only the classic black powder (I use the Swiss n. 1,5F and 2F), what type of reloads you advise me and that bullets I have to use (long, Maxi, sabot ...) and that weight.
The company recommends pedersoli the ball GG lead type long by 500 grains.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Its great to have you here.

I am not really that up on that rifle. Depending on the kind of projectiles you can get, there are a lot of things I personally would try. Now that large conical that Pedersolli recommends might shoot real good with say 65-80 grains of powder. And anything it hits is in trouble. Can you find sabots and pistol bullets over there?

Thank you very much,
at the moment i have 30 bullets of conical pedersoli and i will try these.
Since we are the sabots and also the bullets from the gun, usually purchase on the website of Midway.
From what I have seen with these rifles are loaded with bullets that force the grooves unlike my Gibbs with conical 552 grains should glide effortlessly.
I would like to know if the bullet is in contact with the powder or using the vegetable or cardboard wad, I'm with the GG and the PP always use wad, but with inline do not know.

See you soon ...

WELCOME ABOARD :!: :!:

Glad you joined the group. I'm sure your going to enjoy yourself hanging around this place. Good bunch of guys here that are always willing to help.

Ray........... :yeah:

Very well,
I hope you help me with this rifle online, i would try to go hunting.
In Italy there is this philosophy and would like to make it clear to some people that the muzzle-loading is miraculous.
I've already made my eyes open wide to the people :shock: in a competition bolt action shooting at 220 yards, with my Gibbs i made a grouping of five shots in 2 inches 8)

Welcome to the Forum, Good to have you here. It will be great to hear how you do with this rifle and hunting in your part of the world.

That looks like an interesting rifle. and an interesting twist for a 50 caliber. The twist does lend itself well to the longer conical bullets, but I would bet it does well with heavy/longer for caliber bullets in sabots too.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda- ... -camo.html

If you want to try Sabots, you may need to get a couple different types or brands of sabots to get the one that will fit your rifles bore diameter good. You want to get one that will go down the bore with a nice Firm push but not have to hammer it down. Some bores don't like them to go down real easy. Several guys on this site use Swiss powder with great results so I see no reason for you to feel limited by using that since it is available to you.

For Sabots be sure to match the sabot to the bore and the bullet diameter you shoot. You can get harvester and Hornady sabots from Midway. For the 50 caliber I would go with a 45 caliber bullet designed for the 45 long colt or 454 Casull pistols in .452 diameter. Something like the Hornady XTP in 300 grain or even .350 grain I would first try to the Smooth sabots and if they fit too tight try the Crush rib type sabot. When you can get them, the Speer Deep curl bullets are a great bullet for hunting and is what I like for hunting. They are a bit hard to get at the moment though.

Down in the "Inline" forum you will find a Sticky that provides lots of info on bullet sabot diameters and I include a link to it here.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9798

Again Welcome to the Site!

Thank you very much for the advice, by the time I'll try the classic pedersoli bullets of 480 grains, hopefully I can try the sabots and balls in .45 caliber cast by me, I have several molds for the 45 ACP SWC 200, TC 230, 255 SWC and also mold pedersoli 530 grains for Gibbs, then I also have the mold of the firm Brooks New Postell from 552 and wanting to mold the company to Kal adjustable patched bullets up to 620 grains.
It will be interesting to experiment :mrgreen:

If the bullets cast for that rifle are .500 diameter and they are slip fit, that would indicate to me you have a very tight bore in that rifle. So when you pick out the sabot and bullets you want to shoot, pay attention to the over all dimensions of them as they could be hard to near impossible to load in the rifle.

Given the limited choice of sabots from me here in Italy, i think only shot cast bullets.
Yesterday i had the sad news that does not have the conversion kit for primers 209, anyone can search the web in the US if there is anything for my rifle?

2kmogz.jpg

thanks...

If that picture is the same as your Ovation, it is already setup for 209 primers. I got an Ovation years ago at Cabelas and mine was setup for 209 primers.

It appears that the European models were setup for #11 caps and the whole breach plug system would need to be replaced for 209s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x2DDgvRnZQ

[youtube]9x2DDgvRnZQ[/youtube]

Latest posts

Back