new to muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorso22

Reaction score
Hello all, Long time archer,first time muzzleloader.
recently bought some land so I am saying goodbye to shotgun hunting, and am taking the calculated approach to deer hunting with a firearm as i do with archery. The days of crowded and rushed hunting are over for me, so I wish to explore the one shot style of hunting muzzleloading has to offer. That said after reading reviews and comments, im leaning towards the Knight Bighorn (thumbhole stock) muzzleloader. This will be used for the ohio deer seasons. and will most likely use it for coyotes as well for added fun and familiar shooting to keep me accurate. So my question(s) are what is the recommended setup for said rifle? can the same setup be used for coyotes and deer? or should I explore different setups for each species? also what are good habits for cleaning,swabbing,etc, how often? what about storage of rifle and powders? what tools are needed on bench and in the field to be successful and enjoy the sport? any guidance would be appreciated,thanks

Welcome to the forum.

You picked some good weapons there. All of them good shooters when loaded and handled right. I use a TK2000 for bird hunting, but mostly for turkey. I have a different 12 gauge I use for grouse. When loaded correctly, that TK will knock them down at some hard to believe ranges. I practice out to 40 yards with it. And that is not a big deal for the gun. I shot one very small Tom so far. He was legal and it was late in the season. He was twenty seven yards away and never knew what hit him.

I also shoot three different LK rifles that are much like the Bighorn. Depending on what you load... they shoot wonderful.

Welcome to the Forum from a fellow Buckeye! I am front and center every year for our deer season even though I currently live in NY.

There is a sticky at the top of the "New to Muzzleloading" forum you should check out, Cayuga has a sticky that will help you a lot with all of those questions. check it out is you have not done so yet. Welcome to a great sport that is quite addicting. :yeah:

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Shawn where ya hunt in ohio?
Cayuga,id love to hear more on the TK2000
Where do you find shot and shot cups,shot keepers? I see knight has them
On thier site, but is there any place that sells them in bulk? Or other brands sell something that will work well with the TK2000? Big box stores dont even know that a 12g M.L exists, let alone where to get supplies for them.

mcorso22 said:
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Shawn where ya hunt in ohio?
Cayuga,id love to hear more on the TK2000
Where do you find shot and shot cups,shot keepers? I see knight has them
On thier site, but is there any place that sells them in bulk? Or other brands sell something that will work well with the TK2000? Big box stores dont even know that a 12g M.L exists, let alone where to get supplies for them.

Southeast corner in Gallia county. That's Home for me! :yeah:

I purchased the 3-1/2, 3" and the 2-3/4 wads from Ballistic Products Inc. The 3-1/2 are for turkey. Drop 80-100 grains of powder (I use 80 grains as the recoil is brutal) down the bore. I use American Pioneer 3f powder. The push the 3-1/2 wad down on top of the powder. I have a bag of #5 & #6 shot mixed 50/50. I take a second wad, full of shot and dump that down into the shot cup in the barrel. Then I push two over the shot cards on top of that. That load is good out to 40 yards EASY.

Pheasants I use the 3" and basically load the same way. That will knock a ringneck out of the air at some amazing distances.

Grouse and rabbits. I use the 2-3/4 wad. I use 65 grains of powder and the same shot. The same shot cards. But normally I hunt grouse with my T/C New Englander 12 gauge. It makes me happy for some reason to use a traditional shotgun for some reason.

DCP07046_zps39db8d93.jpg

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Wads/departments/83/

Latest posts

Back