New Member, New to Muzzleloaders Looking for advice.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikew5150

Reaction score
I have been shooting for years, but have recently decided to branch out into muzzle loader. After a ton of research I have decided to go with the CVA accura V2. Being from Washington and wanting to use it for hunting eventually I have to go with the Northwest model. Is it worth it to pay the extra for the Nitride coating and what else will I need to get started in shooting. Thank you for any help and advice that is offered.

Personally, and this is just my opinion... why do they have to make some fancy finish on a barrel that was originally, with care on the part of the owner, made to withstand the elements. I have old blue barrels that because of care look as good as the day I purchased them. Although I admit lately, I have kind of moved to stainless barrels in the inline department. I just seem to like the looks and function of them. So is it necessary to get this fancy coating... I would say no. Even a simple blue or stainless, with care will last a life time if you take care of it.

I own a stainless Optima. It just flat out is a great rifle. I am sure your Accura will be also. With the restrictions you face, just get a good ignition cap, and loose powder like Triple Seven or Pyrodex RS. 90-110 grains and a good projectile and you should be all set. Just swab between shots on the range for better accuracy, carry some swabs when your hunting. And if you have time after shooting the animal and need to reload, swab again.. you're in no hurry. But last, if you shoot it that day, clean it that evening. Its really that simple.

Welcome to the forum. Its great to have you. And welcome to the sport. Now I am sure many will say... yes get the nitride coating. But I would like to see down the road tests on it and how it really made a difference before I would spend my money on it. I don't think it will make your rifle more accurate. Also there are other after market coatings you can do that are really good. If you don't like what you have.

as a gunsmith & firearm re-finisher (13 yrs) certain OME finished do not hold up very well against the corrosiveness of black powder or the cleaner you use. Their are finishes out their OME & after-market finishes that can & will hold the corrosiveness of black powder & the cleaners used. The bottom line is all finished will discolor or fail if not taken care of. I've seen stainless ML's in my shop with excessive pitting on the outside & interior of the action because of lack of cleaning or care to prevent corrosion. Some do not think that appearance of a ML will have an impact on the value & what could be more that is possible wrong with it. I have coatings that we apply will withstand temperatures low as -320 degrees to 500 degrees and as high as 1200 degrees design for various firearm application. I do about 15% in NFA firearms for various enforcement, professional agencies & consumer's. Look at this ML as an investment what you put into it is going to give you what you want overall.

The rule for me 30 plus yrs shooting ML's is 1 grain per caliber for a starting load. Example is if the ML is a .50 cal. be 50 grains to start with or .451 squirrel rifles (LOL, just kidding to you .451 White shooters) you'll want to start with 45 grain and work your way up to what this ML likes to eat. Every ML will like a certain bullet projectile & charge than someone else's. I have an old Knight Black Knight that like 80grains of RS pyrodex powder with Precision Dead Center 175gr. .50cal projectile. It shoots dang near same hole every time. You can use various load suggestion as starting points, but you will be plus or minus on charge or type of bullet configuration you will come up with.

"NITRIDE TREATED BERGARA BARRELS ARE GUARANTEED FOR LIFE AGAINST RUST PITTING. IF YOUR BARREL EVER DEVELOPS PERMANENT BORE DAMAGE DUE TO CORROSION, IT WILL BE REPLACED AT NO CHARGE."

From CVA website, that may be worth the extra money (about $40?) I like my stainless CVA's but do like the Matt black finish just from a glare standpoint.

8)

WELCOME ABOARD 5150. I'm sure you'll like it here.

Ray............ :yeah:

Thanks for the input gentleman. I have ordered the Nitride barrel, I figured for the slight increase in price the lifetime warranty was good enough for me. Hopefully will ship soon and can get started.

Latest posts

Back