New forum member in rural NW OK

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retired1

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a retired Texan now living in NW OK. I enjoy shooting, but, as much as I enjoyed black powder (BP) shooting over the years, I am at great risk of wildfires here at my farm, so my BP guns are longer being used.

I have little to add to this forum, although, now that I found it, I will enjoy reading the many topics.

I have a as new, .50 cal, Cabela's Pedersoli Rolling Block rifle to sell. I thought it would be of interest to some forum members here. When I registered, I was not aware of the 25 post requirements to be able to post in the classifieds. It is unlikely that I will get 25 posts anytime in the near future, so I listed it on Gunbroker.

Ah, this will be my post #1. :yeah:

Welcome to the forum. It is of concern where all the "sparks" land from these rifles. I have my own range and have shot in "Dry" conditions, but never started anything. Not even so much as a smolder. But I understand your concern and commend your refusal to shoot in those conditions. Again, welcome to the forum.

Not shooting BP was a difficult decision to make. I never was too concerned about grass fires before moving to NW OK. In TX, I always had large full time FDs close by. Here, the soonest the nearest responding VFD can be here is about 40 minutes (if the firefighters are actually home and able to respond) and longer for increased fire fighting support. Water has to be brought in by tanker trucks. The nearest town to me with a VFD has a total population of 60 people. That is men, women, and children. That does not offer a large pool of first responders. That said, VFDS are true treasures. We support them.

The wildfires here are fueled by our strong daily winds which regularly run 20 to 40 mph (day and night) and extended drought. Once a wildfire is started, it will often burn several counties before being controlled. In the last 6 years, I have had two that made it within 4 miles of me before being stopped. I can't afford the risk. I do not farm our property. We have let it go back to nature to afford cover for the native wildlife. I mow about 100 yards out around the house and buildings and I keep my gun range surface as short as my yard. The rest of my farm is in weeds and native tall grass that grows to 6 ft. I can walk out 15 ft and disappear. As it dries out, it becomes tinder.

I love shooting BP. I have a beautiful Bill Mowry made copy of a Dimick Plains rifle which will stay with me forever and 4 repro Uberti open top Colts that use BP cartridges that I shot at cowboy action shoots. They now just grace the shelves in my room.

I had many wonderful experiences at BP shoots and its fun to recall them (when my memory works). I am now enjoying reading the Topics / posts in this forum.

Latest posts

Back