New Member from Florida

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baba Yaga 1911

Reaction score
I am an experienced and skilled shooter of modern handguns and rifles. I have been involved in many aspects of the shooting sports for over 40 years, however I have never had any experience shooting black powder muzzle loading guns. Recently, I started developing an interest in Cowboy Action Shooting along with perhaps getting actively involved in shooting black powder muzzle loading pistols. So far I am reading as many articles online as I possibly can about this subject and I am also watching many youtube videos about this subject. Now I am at the point where I am wanting to purchase my first black powder muzzle loading pistol, however I have absolutely no idea what to buy. As my first gun, I don't want to buy junk, however I also don't want to buy the very best...... just something affordable, safe and reliable. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks.

CVA Optima V2 pistol. Amazing guns and can be purchased for under $300. Also shoot BH209 well with easy clean up.

What type of pistol are you thinking a revolver or single shot? My mind went to a black powder revolver since your interested in cowboy action

Welcomed to the forum.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

DSCN2788.jpg

pistol7-23011.jpg

Here is my answer to black powder revolvers. You mentioned you might like cowboy action shooting. These revolvers can fit into that category a little. Although some of the cowboy action revolvers are .36 caliber even. I had a single shot and it was a lot of fun, and accurate. But I wanted a revolver. So I went with a Pietta revolver I got from Cabela's. There are much more expensive revolvers like Uberti and Ruger but I (like you mentioned) didn't want to go that expensive. But I did opt for the model with target sights. I was testing between a corn meal buffer and no buffer in the one picture. Also these things off a rest can shoot some distance.

The Pietta take a #10 cap. Also since I don't hunt with it I only shoot 20 grains of Jim Shockey Gold 3f powder and a .451 round ball. The gun works great, shoots great, and is just a lot of fun to shoot.

Latest posts

Back