Sighting in my traditions pursuit 2 new member

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reyd

Reaction score
I consider myself new to the muzzleloader world even though I bought mine 4 years ago and only had the opportunity to kill a small buck 2 years ago have hunted both deer and elk very confidently till a few days ago shot and missed 4 times at 3 different better than average I mean huge bucks embarrassed and humbled the following day I bore sighted and went to the range shot at least 20 rounds cleaning every 3 shots very frustrated scattered rounds all over when I first started with this gun I couldn't believe how accurate and fun it was to shoot now I don't know what to think I need help I don't mind starting from the beginning any discussion welcome

Welcome aboard.

Are you using powder or pellets from 4 years ago? That right there can mess with your accuracy and if so are the primers that old as well? They might cause issues with age as well. I'll assume you have good gun cleaning habits and that the gun was sufficiently cleaned and dried after its last shooting? If the gun wasn't cleaned properly or right away the barrel may have pitted and is another place to check for problems. I'm thinking though that you should start again with fresh whatever you use for propellant.

Along with what Tom said I would check your bases and rings. One of the screws could have worked loose and that sure could explain the loss in accuracy. Also check the stock screws.

Keep asking questions we will help you get this straitened out!

Actually yes I bought a lot of what I started with cause of the success I had in the beginning but I am almost through all of it but now that you mentioned it I'm getting rid of it and I all ways boil water to clean but don't oil should I oil and if so what do you suggest and if there is pitting how obvious is it I've looked at the bore the best I could just with my naked eye I use powder blaster cleaner

Re: Sightings in my traditions pursuit 2 new member

I do have a scope on it and the gunsmith at the shop checked everything the scope without taking it apart said everything was tight I am considering breaking it all down and staring over or getting a different gun and taking this as a lesson learned but I do want to draw from the knowledge and experience of others thanks for all help

Welcome to the group. Sorry to hear of your problems. Don't give up.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum.

When you clean with Boiling Water it should be dried thoroughly followed by a good oil to prevent rusting. I like Montana Extreme Bore conditioner myself. A Good Synthetic oil is best.

You did not actually say what powder your using but as mentioned if it was old pellets, be aware that those boxes are not sealed and the pellets will draw moisture. Moisture will cause pellets to have ignition and burn rate issues and blow accuracy right out the door.

Hodgkin pyrodex pellets 50/50, Remington 209 primers, hornady xtp 245 grn. What other combinations would you recommend

Pellets work ok but not so much carrying for long periods of time. If you stay with pellets and don't shoot much I would recommend vacuum packing them and adding a desi pack is a good idea. If you were happy with them in the past try a fresh box.

You will find that not many here shoot Pellets. They are more expensive to use than loose powder and the bottles seal up. They also limit you on "tuning" a load by adjusting in small increments. Loose Black powder, Pyrodex RS or Select, 777, or BH209 are better choices. I shoot a bit of all of them. Pyrodex (loose) and 777 would be good choices for your bullet. Others will say BH and is it is a great powder and is cleanest of all, but is also the most expensive. I'm not all that familiar with the Pursuit so not sure if it is good with BH but I'm sure someone here will know.

I'm pretty sure from the information and feedback from these comments that it is a combination of all the above I had powder fouling in my barrel on the breach end that was shiny and I overlooked it and also my pellets and primers I've had for a while and didn't treat them as I should have my front scope mount base wasn't loose but I still got some turns on the bolts. I will clean till I'm sure it's gone I will start over with New pellets and primers and add a better scope if anything I've learned a lesson and will come out better for it thanks to everyone for all the help and more comments and help are welcome

Hello again. Wanted to update from previous discussion I changed over to 777 loose powder federal bor lock and federal 209 primer was a better combination but still not confident with accuracy Oct of 18 I missed 2 easy shots that should have been tag filled under 100 yards and 1running shot I never should have attempted but I tagged out on the last day on a nice big tall SE NM sand Muley which I needed badly for self confidence but still at 57 yards the shot wasn't where I placed it. I might have been over cleaning every evening after missed shots. Anyway moving on I ordered a 50 cal cva accura v2 lr and gonna stick to my new load combo would appreciate any suggestions or previous experiences anyone has had with this new gun

I wonder why you are set on the same load when it could be part of your accuracy issues? I've heard some poor reports on the Fed bore loks. Your Accura will be capable of 1" 100 yd groups using several other good bullets and 90-100 gr of 777. If you are worried about easy reloads, buy the BH209 breech plug for the Accura and switch to BH209, which I would recommend anyway because of all it's other benefits. However, the Accura will shoot just as well with 777.

Thanks for the input I did order the bh209 breech plug and I am open to any load combo I also have read bad reviews on federal bor lock out of cva accura for sure would like to start out with whatever give me the best start thanks

I had the same issue a few years back. I had my muzzy shooting good for years, just test every year before hunting. That year, groups all over the place. Everthing checked out good turned out my scope crapped the bed. Put a new one on and got one good group then next range session, groups unacceptable. This was a head scratcher. After replacing powder, primers, etc: no good. I sent the new scope in and had it checked out, it was fine. Was going through my loading stuff and organizing and realized I had two powder measures in my bag. I was helping a friend and inadvertently put his powder measure in my bag. Slap to the head! All of that for using the wrong powder measure. Muzzleloaders are finicky but don't overlook human error. I always check my possibles bag before I go to the range and make sure all is ok.
Check before leaving the house: spectacles, testicles wallet and watch!

I had the same issue a few years back. I had my muzzy shooting good for years, just test every year before hunting. That year, groups all over the place. Everthing checked out good turned out my scope crapped the bed. Put a new one on and got one good group then next range session, groups unacceptable. This was a head scratcher. After replacing powder, primers, etc: no good. I sent the new scope in and had it checked out, it was fine. Was going through my loading stuff and organizing and realized I had two powder measures in my bag. I was helping a friend and inadvertently put his powder measure in my bag. Slap to the head! All of that for using the wrong powder measure. Muzzleloaders are finicky but don't overlook human error. I always check my possibles bag before I go to the range and make sure all is ok.
Check before leaving the house: spectacles, testicles wallet and watch!
Forgot to mention. While all this was going on I purchased a bad lot of sabots. Had to shim my bullets with foil. Had to figure this out as well. Called MMP and they sent some new. All of this happened the year I drew my LE deer tag! As Red Green would say: " I'm pullen for ya. We're all in this together."

Even with old BH 209 I can shoot good enough groups with my Traditions Pursuit UL using Barnes T-EZ 250 grain saboted bullets. My guess is your scope is the culprit. Every time i have chased accuracy with a gun it was due to a loose or bad scope. An inline is simply a pole with a hole...only other thing that wasn’t mentioned is seating bullets, are you seating your bullet enough? You can also crush or compromise pellets by seating them to hard (I know you have moved on to loose powder)
I personally think the easiest way to check a combo for accuracy is with new pellets and a good saboted bullet combo like the Barnes. Hope you are able to become a tack driver with your CVA, my neighbor loves his and shoots well using my same powder and bullet combo.

Thanks for the input Jimmer funny stuff but I'm definitely gonna be more aware and thanks for all the other comments keep em coming

Back