CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

What's the worst Wild Game food you ever ate?

For posting wild game and fish recipes.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

SJAdventures
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SJAdventures » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:09 pm

No offence meant cayuga but I don't want to cook or eat anything that has that many instructions to make it edible. :lol:

sqezer
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby sqezer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:18 pm

:think: All I know is that take the breasts out of the wild geese and they make the best jerky you will ever eat. :yeah: who ever said that cat was the other white meat was wrong, :think: but fox and yots love them. :d'oh!:
Just a few KNIGHT"S

Uncle Harley

Postby Uncle Harley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Spitpatch wrote:Brute! I'm with you!!
I never ate a goose that tasted even remotely good.
If someone has a good recipe, please share!

I made goose kabobs last weekend, here's the recipe
(1) goose breast-NO SKIN-slice into 1/4" thk pcs across the grain
lay on side & cut off silver skin & fat
you can check for shot & feathers in the meat very easily this way
marinade for 4 hours min or overnite
precook onions & peppers in microwave until just tender
thread meat & veggies on skewers & cook over wet mesquite chips for about 6 minutes-DO NOT OVERCOOK
marinade: 1 cup water, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp minced ginger, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp brown sugar

cayuga
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cayuga » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:47 pm

When I was young, foolish, and married.. me and friends used to get together and go duck and goose hunting. The wives put up with it. We'd get our gear and drive to his little tavern we liked, drink beer, eat hamburgers and shoot pool all day, then come home and tell the wives we got skunked.

Well after about three weekends of getting skunked and drunk.. the wife put her foot down and had the gall to accuse me of just going out drinking. I mean the gall of that woman. But the following weekend, we grabbed our gear and headed out. On the way there we saw a farm that had a sign that said .. Muscovy Ducks for sale. I yelled at Pete.. Pull in there buddy. So we went in and this farmer came out. We told him we wanted to buy some of them pure white Muscovy ducks. He said sure.. they were like $5.00 each. And he was going to cut their heads off for us, but we insisted, he put them in a burlap sack for us live. Which he did.

We took them ducks and before we came home, we took them out of the sack and shot each one of them in the head. Then went home. I held up my big white duck and announced to the doubting wife.. the snow geese are flying!! She was so proud of me. We hunted snow geese for a few more weekends. and the farmer got to know us so well, he let us deer hunt there. When we told him what we did with the ducks.. he laughed himself sick.

And then there was the time I found a trout farm where you paid so much an inch for trout.. Me and the boys used to trout fish on weekends too. Wife never did catch on to it all. But did think I was a heck of a trout fisherman.
My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

lewistt

Postby lewistt » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Don't know if it would be properly classified as "game", but Cow Nosed Ray from Chesapeake Bay, was something I could not choke down. You can duplicate the experience by taking a swig from a chum bucket...

Aquastang

What's the worst Wild Game food you ever ate?

Postby Aquastang » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Hands down the worst thing I have ever eaten is raccoon. Might be the way that my mom cooked it, but I never said a word to her about it!
Time cleaning your gun is time well spent.

Duffer

Postby Duffer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:19 am

cayuga wrote:When I was young, foolish, and married.. me and friends used to get together and go duck and goose hunting. The wives put up with it. We'd get our gear and drive to his little tavern we liked, drink beer, eat hamburgers and shoot pool all day, then come home and tell the wives we got skunked.

Well after about three weekends of getting skunked and drunk.. the wife put her foot down and had the gall to accuse me of just going out drinking. I mean the gall of that woman. But the following weekend, we grabbed our gear and headed out. On the way there we saw a farm that had a sign that said .. Muscovy Ducks for sale. I yelled at Pete.. Pull in there buddy. So we went in and this farmer came out. We told him we wanted to buy some of them pure white Muscovy ducks. He said sure.. they were like $5.00 each. And he was going to cut their heads off for us, but we insisted, he put them in a burlap sack for us live. Which he did.

We took them ducks and before we came home, we took them out of the sack and shot each one of them in the head. Then went home. I held up my big white duck and announced to the doubting wife.. the snow geese are flying!! She was so proud of me. We hunted snow geese for a few more weekends. and the farmer got to know us so well, he let us deer hunt there. When we told him what we did with the ducks.. he laughed himself sick.

And then there was the time I found a trout farm where you paid so much an inch for trout.. Me and the boys used to trout fish on weekends too. Wife never did catch on to it all. But did think I was a heck of a trout fisherman.

This is friggin AWESOME! :lol:

Flhtr
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Flhtr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:42 am

It's not what I would deem "wild game" but I tried some turtle soup that would turn your tongue inside out!

GM54-120
Administrator
Administrator

Postby GM54-120 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:13 am

The worst was snow goose and it was made by one of the best wild game cooks i ever met....Grandma

Everything else she ever cooked including Canadian geese, ducks, carp, turtle and even a old squirrel or two were fine but that snow goose was vile!!!! No amount of gravy or seasoning was going to help.

Freshwater drum out of the Meramec river was nasty too. We caught a few one day while fishing for crappie in a very nice part of the river. Ive had lots of carp out of the Missouri river that tasted better.

The Muscovy ducks are the worst duck i ever tasted.

wolfer
Veteran
Veteran
Location: In the woods, on the waters or watching the fields!

Re: What's the worst Wild Game food you ever ate?

Postby wolfer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:06 pm

I've eaten mos anything as I aint been et yet myself. I likes fish and de grown chillen love dat sushi and sashime. I been out wif dem and had sum of it too, tasty stuff and I likes the sperience of new stuff. Wal tried dat Octopus an Squids legs, like eating rubber bands, never could get it down. For walkin meat that was bad, bro gave a dinner and served Moose hump, nobody could eat it, but the ribs were great. W
extinction is the rule, survival the exception.
apply the rule, be the exception!

MOLON LABE

Squeeze
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Squeeze » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:21 am

If the squid were tough, they were cooked too long, and or frozen too long. When done right, those things are excellent. I always thought they were trash till one of my deckhands cooked some up years ago and showed me what they could be. now I love them.
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others." - Pericles

cayuga
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cayuga » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:03 am

Squeeze wrote:If the squid were tough, they were cooked too long, and or frozen too long. When done right, those things are excellent. I always thought they were trash till one of my deckhands cooked some up years ago and showed me what they could be. now I love them.

Squid is excellent!! I had some on the Island of Rhodes when I was on vacation there. It was a little mom and pop restaurant (if you could call it that). The squid was fresh caught that morning and the Ouzo was homemade. The old gal that cooked it couldn't speak a word of English but she smiled a lot and laughed constantly. That's ok, we couldn't speak their language either. I think she'd been drinking her own Ouzo too much. After a great meal, lots of arm gestures, some hugging, we left.

Fire Hawk

Postby Fire Hawk » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:39 pm

I've had some duck that was really bad, but the worst was the nasty deer burger I got processed one time. It had obviously been mixed with someone else's animal that hadn't been cared for like mine. Oh it was so bad. I now process my own animals as often as I can.
Knight Wolverine209 extreme
Williams peep
Cabelas .54 Hawken built from kit

Pete72

Postby Pete72 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:25 pm

Kangaroo, horrible stuff. Has a really strong pungent odor and will be tough and chewy if cooked a second too long. It doesn't help that I have no love for the stupid things either.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

wolfer
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wolfer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Once got into some Brandt that had eaten something bad. They tasted like a hog pen smells. Same for some snow geese. These birds were salt marsh dwellers and had probably not been in cornfields ever.

MOLON LABE

dbowling
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dbowling » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Coon is very good eating if fixed right, groundhog also.. when I used to trap I fed a guy and his 5 kids one winter with 5-6 raccoons big/small a week, he lost his job in a work force reduction and they were dead broke.. they ate the heck out of those coons.. never could bring myself to eat a muskrat or possum, muskrats smell like wild onions or garlic and the one possum I tried to cook filled the pan so full of grease you couldn't see the possum in there.. absolute worst meat I ever ate was from a giant old doe taken from a swamp in southern Indiana.. I smoked her hindquarter until the meat was falling off the bone and when I took a bite I almost threw up, tasted like swamp mud smells.
White M97 .504
White M97 .504
White M97 .504
White G SERIES .451
WHITE BISON .504
KNIGHT MH .50
T/C FIREHAWK .54
T/C RENEGADE .54
OPTIMA PISTOL
CABELAS SPORTIZED HAWKEN .54
" " .45
T/C BLK. DIAMOND PISTOL .50
H/A UNDERHAMMER PISTOL(2) .45

Carbide8

Postby Carbide8 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Coyote....dont ask. I dont care how you cook it. It was awful.

ponsness

Postby ponsness » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:32 am

4 of us bowhunters were hunting Mulies and Elk in Colorado years ago. I spotted some elk late one evening off in the distance. Around the camp fire that night myself and one other of the hunters decided to get up early in the morning and pack in after the elk. Hunted 3 days and seen lots of sign and we found the elk beds that still smelled of elk but no sightings. Well we were down to the last day and decided to pack out the next morning but were down to a can of soup to eat. I got a shot at a spruce grouse and connected and we roasted the grouse over the campfire that evening with the 2 of us rotating and looking over the grouse like a couple of hungry dogs. Ate the spruce grouse and some pretty thin soup. The grouse had the taste and texture of a pine cone, we went to bed that night under the stars and hungry.

ChocDog

Postby ChocDog » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Mountain Lion. Tasted like cat piss smells. It was horrible.
Had muskrat once, tasted like a**, and chalky.

ALW

Postby ALW » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:58 am

The worst game meat I've ever eaten was from the 1st big mature buck I shot, a 155" 16pt that still weighed 208 1/2lbs at the end of our rut in late Nov. He was all leaned out and not an ounce of fat on him from running does, and you could smell him long before walking up to where he dropped where I shot him standing over a bedded doe at first light. He looked like the bulldog from old Bugs Bunny cartoons, all huge head, neck, front shoulders and tiny hind end. Except he wore a big rack on his head, instead of a hat cocked at a jaunty angle :lol:

I'm glad he had a nice set of antlers, and although I never tried eating them I bet they'd be better eating and more tender than he was! I'm pretty sure the old felt insole in my hunting boots, marinated in Tinks #69, would taste better than that buck. He may have made edible sausage, but I wasn't into sausage making back them. Despite various preparation methods I couldn't find a way to cook that deer that made it palatable. Sadly the most of that deer became compost.

I attribute it simply to his size/age and condition at that point in the rut. From the way his antlers were worn down and various stickers broken off I'd say he was definitely the dominant buck in his area and had spent the last month and a half or more doing little eating but plenty of running, sparring, fighting, and romancing. He was just in poor condition at that time. I've shot larger deer at the beginning of the season, when they were rolling in fat, and they were the best eating deer I've ever shot.

We don't have a lot of deer, but we do have long, generous seasons when all weapons are considered. We can hunt deer from mid Sept starting with early bow while bucks are still in bachelor groups, and right up until the late/post rut in mid December ending with archery and muzzleloader. Next Saturday is the last day of our 2016 deer season.

cayuga
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cayuga » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:18 pm

ALW wrote:The worst game meat I've ever eaten was from the 1st big mature buck I shot, a 155" 16pt that still weighed 208 1/2lbs at the end of our rut in late Nov. He was all leaned out and not an ounce of fat on him from running does, and you could smell him long before walking up to where he dropped where I shot him standing over a bedded doe at first light. He looked like the bulldog from old Bugs Bunny cartoons, all huge head, neck, front shoulders and tiny hind end. Except he wore a big rack on his head, instead of a hat cocked at a jaunty angle :lol:

I'm glad he had a nice set of antlers, and although I never tried eating them I bet they'd be better eating and more tender than he was! I'm pretty sure the old felt insole in my hunting boots, marinated in Tinks #69, would taste better than that buck. He may have made edible sausage, but I wasn't into sausage making back them. Despite various preparation methods I couldn't find a way to cook that deer that made it palatable. Sadly the most of that deer became compost.

I attribute it simply to his size/age and condition at that point in the rut. From the way his antlers were worn down and various stickers broken off I'd say he was definitely the dominant buck in his area and had spent the last month and a half or more doing little eating but plenty of running, sparring, fighting, and romancing. He was just in poor condition at that time. I've shot larger deer at the beginning of the season, when they were rolling in fat, and they were the best eating deer I've ever shot.

We don't have a lot of deer, but we do have long, generous seasons when all weapons are considered. We can hunt deer from mid Sept starting with early bow while bucks are still in bachelor groups, and right up until the late/post rut in mid December ending with archery and muzzleloader. Next Saturday is the last day of our 2016 deer season.

My Dad one year (when I was a kid) shot a monster buck near Tomahawk Wisconsin. it was an old black swamp buck and looked to be in full rut. He came home with that thing, it looked like a horse. He was so proud of that big monster buck. We butchered it like we had many deer before that. I remember the first time Mom was cooking steaks from it. It stunk up the house so bad .... we still laugh about that today. Dad tried a roast and again, just a real marsh/swamp stink. He took the whole deer to a butcher shop that customized in sausage, salami, etc and had them make it into venison stick, salami, sausage, and other such meats. Then it was real good eating. But we sure could not eat venison from that buck like we did other deer. And my family was a venison eater. We ate a lot of venison. Dad never could figure why the meat from that Deer stunk so bad when it was cooked.

dbowling
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dbowling » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:43 pm

sorry forgot already posted about worst game Ive ate..
White M97 .504
White M97 .504
White M97 .504
White G SERIES .451
WHITE BISON .504
KNIGHT MH .50
T/C FIREHAWK .54
T/C RENEGADE .54
OPTIMA PISTOL
CABELAS SPORTIZED HAWKEN .54
" " .45
T/C BLK. DIAMOND PISTOL .50
H/A UNDERHAMMER PISTOL(2) .45

wolfer
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wolfer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:06 pm

OK a year since my last post on this thread. I'm still sticking with the Octopus and squid legs, can't get past the memory to try again. However hit a new low. I love seafood of most any sort fixed most any way. Well neighbor gave me some "corned" Norfolk spot. I like salt fish but I think these were rotten. Tried them soaked and poached and some fried, then not soaked and poached or fried, didn't matter = BAD fish. Threw them away. I have had corned spot and they were good, don't know what was wrong with these. W

MOLON LABE

toytruck
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby toytruck » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Worst game animal I ever ate was at a wild game dinner at a local church. They had elk, venison, bear an buffalo. The buffalo was in hamburgers an tasted to me like the rear end of the buf...uck!! I am a meat hunter an can eat most things, but I just didn't like the taste of that buffalo burger. :puke:
Steve

NRA Life member, NAHC Life member

Life may change us, but we start and end with family.

Common sense is a flower that doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

MrTom
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MrTom » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:03 am

I wasn't in on this but a local archery shop hosted a crow hunt a couple years back. The crows taken were dressed out to get the breasts, then they had a marinade of some sort that the meat went into over-night. The next day the birds were grilled over charcoal. As I understand it there was plenty of meat left and when asked about a repeat hunt the next year the shop owner mumbled something about "not him" going to do it. I heard from a couple people who were at the banquet that crow was far from tasty.

Personally I shot an antelope in Wyoming many years ago that was sound asleep when I glassed him. I got within 150 yards of him when he raised his head, then he lost most of it. Clean kill, had not been run, was the worst red meat I have ever in my life tried to eat. When people call them goats, its for a reason.

Return to “Wild Game/Fish Recipes”