Backstrap venison recipes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
I have seen some recipes for backstraps on this site so I have those but any other recipes for sweet meat venison? Thanks

I like to make a German dish my dear sweet Mom taught me how to make. It is quite simple. Call Rouladen ( I think that is how it is spelled in German) the translation is quite simple, called meatroll. :lol:

Anyway just take your steak and slice it as thin as possible. Then very fine dice up some onion and bacon almost to a paste. Add just enough brown mustard to make it an actual paste, and spread on one side of each steak. Roll them up and hold together with toothpicks. Bake at 350 for an hour or maybe a little longer. Very easy and very tasty.

I had my backstrap cut into butterfly chops. I put the chops in salt water and refrigerate for at least 3 days changing water twice a day. After the chops have most all the blood out of them, I marinade with some New Orleans Spicy Steak Marinade for 24 hours. Then slap them on the grill and they're terrific! Any marinade of your choice would work.

heres a few of mine

Bacon wrapped Venison Tenderloin

1 lb Venison Tenderloin, silver skin removed & cut into medallions
12 pc Bacon, I prefer Pettie Jeans Peppered Bacon
6 Jalapeno Peppers, cut in halves, seeded
10 oz Cajun Injectors ?Honey Bacon? Marinade
4 tblspns Creole Seasoning, Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning is OK
4 tblspns Olive Oil

My Creole Seasoning
? cup Kosher Salt
1/3 cup Paprika
? cup Granulated Garlic
4 tblspns Onion Powder
1/3 cup Black Pepper
3 tblspns White Pepper
2 tblspns Cayenne Pepper
2 tblspns Dried Thyme Leaves
2 tblspns Dried Oregano Leaves
Combine all ingredients together, place in air tight container

Clean & remove silver skin from venison tenderloin, cut into ?? thick medallions. Inject medallions with ? oz of Honey Bacon Marinade. Season medallions with creole seasoning (both sides) Place half of jalapeno pepper onto medallions and wrap them with a slice of bacon. Place wrapped medallions in greased baking dish. With pre-heated oven @ 425 degree?s place baking dish with venison in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
lr11170.jpg

Venison Chicken Fried Steak

4 Venison Tenderloin Steaks, pounded about 3/16th of a inch, and seasoned
1 Sleeve of Crackers, smashed into crumbs, seasoned
? cup All Purpose Flour, seasoned
2 Eggs, slightly beaten, and seasoned
4 tblspn Tony Chachere?s Creole Seasoning, to season the above ingredients
1/3 cup of Oil, for frying
Salt & Pepper to taste

Using rolling pin or large spoon to smash crackers to crumbs, season cracker crumbs lay out on plate. Beat eggs and season, season flour. Using mallet pound venison to 3/16? thick. Dredge meat into seasoned four, into seasoned egg bath and into seasoned cracker crumbs. Repeat process again, this will give a crispy crust. Place breaded venison in to medium hot oil and cook 4-5 minutes per side or golden brown. Remove meat and place on paper towel to drain. Cover with White Milk Gravy
100_1930.jpg

Venison Jerky (ground)

2 lbs Venison ground
? cup Pure Sorghum
tblspn Red Pepper Flakes
1/8 cup of soy sauce
1 teaspn of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspn of Tender Quick
1/4 teaspn black pepper
1/4 teaspn garlic powder
1/4 teaspn onion powder
1/4 teaspn seasoned salt
1 tblspns of brown sugar
1 tblspns of liquid smoke
Combine worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sorghum & liquid smoke together. Add all the remaining powdered ingredients, making sure that you stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Combine the marinade/seasoned venison, and refrigerate overnight. I use a jerky shooter. Load jerky shooter and start extrude the jerky meat mixture onto the dehydrator trays. Continue to do this until all the jerky meat mixture is gone. Stack trays, set your dehydrator at 155 degrees. Drying time can be reduced to how heavy the dryer is loaded. More jerky you load on the racks the long the drying time is. Dry time is anywhere from 4 to 11 hours.
100_1284-1.jpg

Venison & Wild Hog Slim Jim's

1 lb Ground Wild Hog
2 lbs Ground Venison
? cap Of Liquid Smoke
3 tblspn Paprika
1 teaspn Cayenne Pepper
? teaspn Coriander
2 teaspn Sugar
3 teaspn Course Ground Black Pepper
3 tblspn Curing Salt
3 oz Water

Combine all ingredients above in to bowl, mix thoroughly.
Meat Grinder/Stuffer with small plate (1/8th inch) and small tube (breakfast Sausage tube) begin adding meat mixture to stuffer. (2 people works best for this, one feeds meat mixture, other receives mixture form tube). Make these about 8 inch long. Place on dehydrate trays as they come out of stuffer. Continue this until meat mixture is gone. Stack the racks and turn dehydrator on 155 degree?s Cook or dehydrate for 5 1/2 hrs, depending on moistness of meat and thickness.
100_1271-1.jpg

Venison Summer Sauage

3 lbs Ground Venison
2 lbs Ground Wild Hog
2 tblspn Salt
1 teaspn Curing Salt
2 tblspn Sugar
3/4 teaspn Ground Coriander Seed
1 1/2 teaspn Garlic Powder
1 1/2 tblspn Black Pepper, coarse
1/2 teaspn Ground Mustard Seed
1 cup Non-Fat Dry Milk, powder
2 teaspn Liquid Hickory Smoke, more if ya want
1 3/4 cups Water, cold, this will make the meat mixture more workable
2 2" Fibrous Casings, soaked in warm water for 30 minute to make them workable

Combine venison & hog together, mix well. Add remaining 10 ingredients. Blend well. Make a test patty from meat mixture and fry in pan for taste. NOTE* this will NOT make final out come of taste. Close thats it. Reseason if needed.
Install 3/4" stuffin tube to grinder. Slide fibrous casing on tube, began stuffin making sure to leave about 2" of casing left to tie off, twist and use butchers string to tie off end.
Refrigerate your sausage overnight to cue.
Preheat oven to 170 degrees, place your summer sausage on the rack (oven racks) and jar the oven door open with what evers available (oven door should be cracked open) for 1 hour. Remove what ever jar oven door open and close oven door and continue to cook until summer sausage reaches internal temp of 152 to 154 degrees. which will be fully cooked. Remove sausage from oven and rinse with cold water til internal temp drops to 120 degrees. This is what they call the Blooming process, which gives the sausage that nice redish mohagny color. Hang to set aside til room temp(about 2 hours) Now its ready to eat.
NOTE* you will need a thermometer to moniter the interenal temp of the sausage. This makes 5 lbs
NOTE* place sheet pan under (lower rack) to caught drips, this will keep ya's out of the dog house with the wife. It wont mess up the inside of her oven.
100_1241-1.jpg

100_1237-1.jpg

Venison Meat Loaf w/ Brown Mushroom Gravy

3/4 cup Bread Crumbs, store bought is OK
2 lbs Ground Venison
3/4 cup Onion, chopped
1/2 cup Celery, chopped
1/3 cup Red Bell Pepper, seeded & chopped
2 Large Eggs, Beatin
1 cup Tomato Puree
1/4 cup BBQ Sauce, your favorite. I make my own
1 tea spn Cavenders Seasoning
1 tbl spn Dark Brown Sugar
Pre-heat oven 350 degrees. In large bowl combine venison, onion, celery, red bell pepper, bbq sauce, tomato puree, bread & crumbs. Mix well, all ingredients in bowl. Form into loaf, place loaf in greased 9x5x3 baking dish. Bake for 1 hour or til done.
Serve with Brown Mushroom Gravy over slices.
100_1081.jpg

Nothin better on a Sunday after Church cookin & eatin a venison meat loaf and watchin Nascar Race

Venison Enchiladas

1 lb Ground Venison
1/2 Onion, Chopped
Olive Oil for cooking
4 oz Can Black Olives, Sliced
2 to 3 tbl spn Mexican Spice
1/4 tea spn Chipotle Chile Powder
2 Cans Enchilada Sauce (red)
1/2 to 3/4 lb of Mexican Blend Cheese, Cheddar if desired
4 Geen Onion Tops, chopped
Dozen Corn (White) Tortillas
Salt & Pepper to tastes

Place venison and onion in skillet, saute in oil until meat is browned, add spices, black olives salt & pepper to taste. Heat Tortillas in damp towels in microwave for 2 minutes to soften. Lay warm tortillas on flat area and spoon 1 to 2 table spoon of meat mixture in tortilla, roll and place in pan. Make sure pan is greased, make a sigle layer in dish. Pour Red canned enchilada sause over rolled tortillas, top with cheese and green onion, bake for 15 to 25 minutes @ 375 degrees
100_1033.jpg

Recipe for Mexican Blend Spice
1/4 cup Paprika
2 tea spn Cayenne Pepper
2 tbl spn Salt, Kolsher
2 tea spn White Pepper
2 tbl spn Black Pepper
2 tbl spn Granulated Garlic Powder
2 tbl spn Chile Power
2 tbl spn Ancho Chile Powder
2 tbl spn Dried Oregano

Combine all the above ingredients, mix well

Baked Ziti w/ Venison

1 lb Ground Venison, browned
16 oz Ziti, tube macaroni, cooked
1 ? cup Mozzarella Cheese, grated
? cup Parmesan Cheese, grated

Basic Tomato Sauce

1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Onion, diced
1/2 Carrot, peeled and chopped fine
5 Garlic Cloves, minced
3 tblspn Dried Thyme
1 tblspn Dried Oregano
2 15 oz Cans of Diced Tomatoes
1/2 Can of Water
4 oz can Sliced Mushrooms, drained (optional)
2 Bay Leaves
Salt & Pepper to taste

In large pot heat ? cup olive oil, add onion, garlic, carrot, dried thyme, oregano. Cook until onion , carrot is tender. Add 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes & ? can water, add bay leaves and mushrooms, simmer for ? to 1 hour. Add salt & pepper to taste.

In skillet over medium high heat with a little oil (2 tblspns) brown venison. Add browned venison to tomato sauce, stir well to blend ingredients together.

Grease baking dish , add cooked ziti in baking dish , pour meat sauce over ziti macaroni. Top with grated mozzarella , and parmesan cheese. Place ziti in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
100_1270.jpg

Juicy Cheesy Deer Camp Burgers

Deer Camp Burgers

2 lbs Ground Venison
? teaspn Salt
? teaspn Black Pepper
? tblspn Garlic, minced
1 teaspn Onion Powder
2 Eggs, beaten
? Cup Bread Crumbs
? teaspn Worchestershire Sauce
1 teaspn Tony Chachere?s creole Seasoning
2 slices American Cheese, broke into 4 smaller squares

Combine all ingredients together in bowl, mix well with your hands. Make into fist size balls & flatten into patties. There should be a bottom pattie & a top pattie for each burger. I place 4 small squares of american cheese between each pattie. place the top pattie on and pinch to seal completely around. Season the outside "both sides"with your favorite seasoning, mine is Coopers BBQ Seasoning out of Texas. On hot grill cook 4 1/2 to 8 minutes on each side or til done. Careful cheese is hot melted and will burn ya.

Add what ever condiments you like.

The guys @ deer camp said these are the best dang burgers they ever had
extra444.jpg

extra446.jpg

extra447.jpg

extra449.jpg

Venison Tacos

3 tbl spns Olive Oil
1 large Onion, minced
6 cloves Garlic, minced
1 lb Ground Venison
1 tbl spn Flour
2 tea spn Mexican Spice (see rub thread)
1 medium Baking Potatoe, parboiled, peeled, & diced fine
1/2 cup Beef Broth
Salt & Pepper to taste
White Corn Tortillas
Shreaded Lettuce, Fresh Pico De Gallo, Grated Cheddar Cheese, Sour Cream, Fresh Guacamole.

Heavy Skillet, warm oil over medium heat. Add onion, galic, saute for a couple minutes til soft. Add venison cook til meat is brown, add flour , mexican spice, potatoe and beef broth, reduce heat to low . Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes until potatoes are soft and most of the liquid has thicken. NOTE* Meat must be moist.
In microwave place tortillas bewteen moist towel and heat for 2 minutes.
Fill tortilla with 3 tbl spn of the meat mixture, garnish with shreaded lettuce, grated cheese, topped woth Pico De Gallo, Sour Cream and Fresh Guacamole.
This one is out of my 1st cook book I wrote , Back Woods Wild Game Recipes"
Some good chewin & Swallowin :D
100_1062.jpg

Creole Venison Meatloaf w/ Potato Casserole

Meatloaf
1 lb Venison, ground
3/4 cup Onion, peeled & chopped
1/3 cup Saltine Cracker, broken up
2 tblspn Creole Seasoning, anyones (I make my own)
1 Egg, beaten
3 tblspn Milk
Potato Topping
2 cups Mash Potatoes, perpared
1 11 oz can Corn, drained
1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 cup Shreaded Cheese

Heat oven to 375 degrees, in large bowl combine meatloaf mixture (ingredients) together, mixing well. Mmake into loaf. In greased baking dish place meatloaf and bake in oven 20 to 30 minutes. Remove , sit a side
In another bowl combine all topping ingredients together, except for the cheese. Spread potato mixture over the loaf, about 3/4" thick. Sprinkle with shreaded cheese and place back into oven to melt cheese and browned lightly.
100_1292.jpg

Venison Salisbury Steak

1 1/2 pounds ground venison
1 teaspn Dried Basil
1 teaspn Dried Thyme
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 envelope dry onion soup mix, use?4 tblspns?
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoons oil or shortening
1 tablespoons flour
1 cups water
1 - 4 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained (4 ounces)
capful Kitchen Bouquet (Browning & Seasoning Sauce)
Salt & Pepper to taste * Note just a little salt do to the soup mix has salt in it.

Thoroughly mix venison, 4 tblspn of onion soup mix, bread crumbs, dried basil & thyme, garlic, and egg. Shape into 2 patties. Brown patties in skillet in oil over medium high heat. Add remaining onion soup mix and flour; salt & pepper, gradually stir in water, kitchen bouquet and mushrooms. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Note* I like using a ?Electric Skillet? for this dish.
100_1235.jpg

Venison Pizza

1 lb Ground Venison
1 8 oz Pizza Sauce, I make my own
1 12 oz jar Artichoke Hearts (in brine only), sliced about ?? thick (optional)
1 4 oz can Sliced Mushrooms, drained
1 2.25 oz can Slice Black Olives, drained
1 ? White Onion, peeled, sliced into rings
1 10 oz tube ?pre-made? Pizza Crust
8 oz Roasted Red Bell Pepper, cut into strips
1 Fresh Green Bell Pepper, seeded, cut into rings
5 oz Pepperoni , Sliced into 1/8? slices
8 oz Shredded Mozzarella, Provolone, Cheddar Cheese

Lay out pre-made pizza crust onto greased 10x15 sheet pan. Brown ground venison over medium high heat until done. Spread Pizza Sauce over pizza dough. Sprinkle cooked ground venison over pizza sauce and pizza crust. Layer pepperoni slices, sliced mushrooms, black olives, onions, roasted red bell peppers slices, fresh green bell pepper rings, artichoke heart pieces. Top with cheese. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees, place pizza in oven. Cook for 15 to 18 minutes for ?thin crust? 18 to 20 minutes for ?thick crust?. Slice into squares

Homemade Pizza Sauce

? cup Onion, peeled & chopped
2 cloves Garlic, peeled & minced
3 tblspns Olive Oil
1 28 oz can Whole Tomatoes
1 6 oz can Tomato Paste
1 teaspn Dried Oregano
1 teaspn Dried Basil
1 Bay Leaf, ?remove before pureeing sauce?
Pinch of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 ? teaspns Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste

In large pot over medium heat saut? onion & garlic in olive oil until onions are soft. Add remaining ingredients, stir well. With hand held immersion blender, pureeing sauce. Cook sauce over low heat @ simmer for 1 hour, stirring often. This will reduce about ? and make sauce heartier. This sauce can be froze for future use
lr11282.jpg

lr11283.jpg

lr11286.jpg

Spaghetti w/Venison , Wild Hog Meatballs
Ingredients for meatballs

1/2lb ground Venison
1/2lb Ground Hog
1 slice White Bread, ripped up in chunks
2 cloves Garlic , minced
Pinch Dried Parsley
tea spn Dried Thyme
tea spn Dried Oregano
1 Egg, beatin
Mix well, blend all ingredients together, roll in 4 oz meatballs (size of golf ball)
Cook in oven proof skillet over medium heat. Brown all sides , preheat oven to 375 degrees after browning meatballs cook the rest of the way in oven about 20 minutes, remove from skillet add to Tomatoe Sauce cook for another 10 minutes to add meat flavors to sauce.

Basic Tomatoe Sauce
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Onion, diced
1/2 Carrot, peeled and chopped fine
5 Garlic Cloves, minced
3 Tbl Spn Dried Thyme
1 Tbl Spn Dried Oregano
2 15 oz Cans of Diced Tomatoes
1/2 Can of Water
2 Bay Leaves
Salt & Pepper to taste

in large pot add Olive Oil, heat over medium heat , add onion, garlic, carrot cook til onion is soft. Pour in Tomatoes, add dried herbs, & salt & pepper , stir simmer for 2 hour uncovered over low heat. It will reduce by 1/3.

Note* if ya want more of a spicer tomatoe sauce add 1/4 tea spn crushed red peppers :D
Note* Remove Bay Leaves
100_1124.jpg

Venison & Corsincan Ram Koftas

1 lb Ground Venison
1 lb Ground Corsincan Ram
1 Egg, beaten
? cup Cilantro, chopped
2 teaspn Ground Coriander
2 teaspn Ground Cumin
? teaspn Ground Cinnamon
1 Onion, peeled & minced
1 teaspn Chili Powder
? teaspn Ground Turmeric
2 teaspn Paprika

Combine all ingredients together and form into sausage shape. Place pre-soaked wooden skewers into sausage shape meat. Over medium high heat place Kofta?s on grill, cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until done.

Golden Pilaf

3 tblspns Oil
1 teaspn Ground Turmeric
1 Onion , peeled sliced into rings
4 cups Chicken Broth.
2 cups White Rice (follow cooking instruction)

Heat oil, in large sauce pan, add, onion, turmeric and cook until soft, about 2 to 4 minutes. Add chicken broth to pan and slowly bring to boil??reduce heat add rice , cover and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.

Potato & Parsnip Mash

3 Parsnips, washed, peeled and cut into chunks
3 Russett Potatoes, washed , peeled & cut into chunks
2 tblspn Butter
2 tblespn Heavy Cream, milk could be sub
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cut and peel parsnips & potatoes, with salted water in large sauce pan, bring to a boil. Cook potatoes & parsnips until fork tender. Drain water from pan, add butter & heavy cream, smash & blend all ingredients together. Serve with butter.
Picture048.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture052.jpg

jims said:
I have seen some recipes for backstraps on this site so I have those but any other recipes for sweet meat venison? Thanks

The last time I cooked back straps I forgot to take any spices other than salt and black pepper. They were delicious cooked over a wood fire.

Back