Simple venison chili

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
2lbs ground venison
1 large chopped yellow onion
2 chopped bell peppers
Garlic powder or minced garlic in the jar
Lipton onion soup mix or minced dried onion and low sodium beef broth
1-2 packets of your favorite chili mix
Ground Cummin to taste
1-2 can of chili beans or cheap canned chili with beans
1 8oz can of tomato paste or a few tablespoons of your favorite salsa

Add 1/2-1 packet of chili mix, 1 tablespoon cummin, garlic and minced dried onion or only the dried onions in the onion soup mix to the ground venison.

Mix well and let set, preferably over night in the fridge.

Brown in some oil if you had pork added to your ground venison or in a little bacon fat if its straight venison. Remove some of the fat if you wish when done.

Add some of the chopped onions and bell peppers. They will cook down so reserve more if you like large pieces in the finished chili.

This is where my recipe becomes a bit different.

Add enough beef broth. tomato paste or onion soup mix and enough water to cover the meat by about a half inch to an inch. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by nearly half. I usually add more garlic, chili mix and cummin at this point too.

Longer simmer times will result in more tender meat and milder flavor. Adjust all seasoning and soup mix to your taste. The onion soup mix powder can be salty so watchout.

Just add a 2-3 cans of your preferred canned chili and simmer a few more minutes. Serve with some of the reserved chopped onions and its done.

Or add the chili beans and more cummin to taste. I really like cummin. Adding a little bit more 10min before it is done helps the spice keep a more robust flavor. Add the remaining onion and bell pepper at this time too (optional)

Options for any chili recipe

Use shredded or "pulled" leftover venison roast instead of ground. Its a great way to make use of the roast if it was too "gamey".

A nice twist i like to add to any chili recipe is some shredded smoked hocks or shank about half way through the cooking. Add just enough for a slight smokey aroma.

Mega flatulence :D
Dried black beans instead of pinto/chili beans. Soak them thoroughly and change water several times or your chili will be purple and your beans will split open when cooked. This can take a couple of days and cooking time goes up. Canned black beans work also but dried taste better IMO.

Low sodium vegetable broth instead of water or beef broth.

V8 drink works if your in a pinch for flavor and color adjustment.

Serve over steamed rice or mix in Minute rice to make it thicker. If it gets too thick, pour it all in a casserole dish, cover with cheese and bake it for a Mexican casserole.

Serve chili mild to medium spicy if you are having guests. Let them adjust the heat level or adjust it 10min before serving with finely chopped jalapenos/habeneros/green chilis WITHOUT seeds. The fresh seeds are the stomach killers.

GM54-120 said:
A nice twist i like to add to any chili recipe is some shredded smoked hocks or shank about half way through the cooking. Add just enough for a slight smokey aroma.

Sounds real good. We use little smokey sausages in our chili for a similar effect.

OH YEAH!!!!

I got a good one!!! This batch of ground venison is great without any pork added. :D

Back