Mexican style venison roast

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Venison roast
1-2 packets of ChiliMan or Durkey chili mix.
1-2 Onions coarsely chopped or ringed
Ground cumin (optional)
Crushed tomatoes (optional)
Fresh or minced garlic in the jar
Low sodium Beef or vegetable broth and water per chili mix directions

I like to use a roast that is flat cut like a chuck roast.

Brown the roast well in a cast iron dutch oven or skillet. Don't worry if it leaves some burned/charred meat on the bottom. After it is browned just use some water and a whisk. It will dissolve and adds a nice flavor to the broth.

Add water, broth, chili mix, garlic and onions in the the dutch oven or slow cooker. Cook on low until tender and the liquid is reduced to a chili gravy.

Shred the roast and return it to the chili gravy and simmer a few more minutes.

Serve with soft tortillas or taco shells, chopped onions, salsa, fresh chopped jalapenos (optional) and lime wedges.

This is a spin off of a Mexican dish called Birria. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birria

250px-Plato_de_birria.jpg

cayuga said:
That looks really good!!!

There are some excellent birria recipes online if you google it. This one is greatly simplified and is awesome for a camp meal. Any cut works ok but i like the flavor of a roast the best.

Its normally made with goat and garnished with cilantro.

That sounds excellent! I have a venison roast just waiting to get cooked. Maybe I'll try this recipe.

Emrah

Next time, try deglazing the pan with an acid like red or white wine or apple cider or apple juice. Does wonders for the sauce.

Once you try it, you will want to try making birria from scratch.

Preparing the peppers the traditional way is the hardest part and some are little hard to find if you don't have a Mexican market. They are not usually terribly hot but the flavor is more complex.

Ive got a great Thai curry recipe but most people either love or hate curries. I found a excellent Youtube video for red curry made with beef that should work with the more tender cuts of venison.

Latest posts

Back