Cold smoked some Salmon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kg6ysf

Reaction score
Got a nice King so I decided to smoke this one. I filleted it and then i dry brine mine. 2 parts dark brown sugar to 1 part salt. I make enough to cover the fish both side about a quarter inch thick. Wrap it in plastic wrap and then heavy foil. place it on a sheet pan with a second sheet pan on top of it. Place weights on the top evenly spread. I have a cast iron griddle that I use. Let it set in the fridge for 24hrs. Take it out and rinse the fish thoroughly. It will be pretty firm if done right. Then you dry well and let sit on a wire drying rack with a cool fan on it. Usually a few hours will do it. You want it dry and kinda matt looking. Then smoke it, COLD smoke less than 150 degrees for around 8hrs. If done right it should last for almost a month in the fridge, like that's gonna happen! :lol:

Nothing fancy but since when does fancy also mean good?

Sounds great! I never smoked a salmon but do a lot of ruff fish like carp, redhorse, northern pike, and a friend smokes his trout and an occasional sturgeon.

Really want to have some fun with it make a cardboard box smoker and do the fish in that. It is great to see the reactions. Look up cardboard box smoker, I use those for salmon every time. Easy simple only a few bucks for someone who doesn't own a smoker but wants to do some cold smoking for fish, cheese anything else you want to cold smoke. I have an offset that was bought and an updraft that I made. I still like the old cardboard box. I have been told that I "ain't right" though. Try it you'll like it.

Back