squirrel mushroom soup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I prefer to fry up squirrel after cooking, but my doctor says I should stay away from fried foods.... :roll: Anyway the other day I had a brain storm an cooked two squirrels up like I usually do...put them in water with either splash of vinegar or cheap wine and cook for 10-15min. then take them out wash em up clean the pot then add water with salt an return the squirrels till tender.

This time I deboned the meat and poured out the remaining salty water and returned the meat along with a can of Campbells mushroom soup with garlic. I added a couple of potatoes diced up an heated that up till the potatoes were done. You could pour this over biscuits or just eat as is. I liked it, still prefer fried tho.... :lol:

it sounds good. I have had squirrel gravy my buddy's mother used to make. My mother refused to cook squirrel. She said they looked like a rat and she didn't want them in her house.

That sounds like my youngest sons wife, she won't let him cook any squirrels in her house...when she was here for the first time I fixed up a mess of squirrel for my sons an she took pictures not believing that we would eat such things...I still tease her about that!!

I always debone. I clean the meat and add it to a fresh clean ziplock baggie. I keep adding to the baggie during the season until the season ends.

I soak the meat in milk overnight. I fry the meat in seasoned breadcrumbs before adding it to the crockpot with COM soup snd potatoes, carrots, etc.

Been shooting them with my bow this year. So far I have three. I don't even want to calculate the price per ounce of squirrel meat, what with all the arrows and tips I've lost.

Emrah

Make that 5. I just shot two more today. No arrows lost! Bonus

Emrah

I like to cook them in the crock pot. Take 3 or 4 grays (Reds take a little longer) and place them in the crock pot with some Chicken stock, white wine garlic and onion salt and pepper and some water to cover. Slow cook for about 6 hours or so. when done I pick the meat off the bone and return to the pot stir in some BBQ sauce just to coat the meat good and let that all warm up. Sort of like making pulled pork. Makes some real good samiches.

Back