Cooking Doves

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoolmaster

Reaction score
I will never forget my oldest son grumbling about missing an easy shot on a dove on opening day. I told him to relax because he would get more chances. He replied that he just wanted to eat them. My version of cooking dove breasts is to take an iron skillet and melt a stick of butter into it. Cook the dove breasts with a liberal amount of soy sauce and until they are just slightly pink inside. Then serve the breasts, sauce and all over rice. I always run out when I cook this dish.

A bunch of us would go hunt on the California side of the Colorado River near Blythe and spend a week out there hunting in the morning, skiing/fishing/tubing down the river the rest of the day. We'd just breast the doves out, wrap a strip of bacon around them, held in place with a tothpick, then throw them in Teryaki Merinade until the evening. Then grill them and season them with Lemon Pepper while they are on the grill. The limit was 10 per person/day and it was amazing to see 50 to 60 doves disappear every day!

:D Sounds Yummy schoolmaster. Cant beat those Ole Iron Skillets! Got em hangin in my Huntin Camp ready to assist me in all my cookin adventures.

Here's a new one for you.
Ingredients:
1. A limit of doves (if you're lucky)
2. 2 eggs
3. 1/4 cup milk (red cap, oh yeah!)
4. 2 cups of LAYS wavy potato chips pulverized to make coating

Breast out all the doves and wash thoroughly
mix eggs and milk together to make batter
dip dove breast in batter and coat (shake in bag)with potato chip coating
Place doves on baking sheet and cover with foil.
bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 min.

you can remove the foil covering the last 10 min or so if you like them crispier. for whatever reason they are very tender and come right off the bone and OH SO delicious !
Pocampo

A friend gave me a bag of dove breasts from a local shoot. 48 total. I took them and washed them and dried them with paper towels. I cut enough bacon strips in 1/3s to wrap each breast with a slice of Jalapeno pepper under the bacon, all secured with a tooth pick. We grilled them until the bacon was crisp, which was perfect for the breast inside. Excellent treat!

bubbinator said:
A friend gave me a bag of dove breasts from a local shoot. 48 total. I took them and washed them and dried them with paper towels. I cut enough bacon strips in 1/3s to wrap each breast with a slice of Jalapeno pepper under the bacon, all secured with a tooth pick. We grilled them until the bacon was crisp, which was perfect for the breast inside. Excellent treat!

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
A bunch of us would go hunt on the California side of the Colorado River near Blythe and spend a week out there hunting in the morning, skiing/fishing/tubing down the river the rest of the day. We'd just breast the doves out, wrap a strip of bacon around them, held in place with a tothpick, then throw them in Teryaki Merinade until the evening. Then grill them and season them with Lemon Pepper while they are on the grill. The limit was 10 per person/day and it was amazing to see 50 to 60 doves disappear every day!

I've done both of these. After an evening shoot, we breast out the doves, wrap in bacon, and throw on the grill. Some of the best wild game I've ever had

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back