Reuben Sandwich w/Corned Venison Ham

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkanasaDon

Reaction score
to nights supper
Corning my own venison hams are one of my favorite curing processes. I have know idea why I like corned meats so much, maybe it’s the German in me because of the pickling spices used. I typically use whole-muscle rear ham to do this piece of meat. I like to look at this like a big ol’ piece of sirloin roasts, or a brisket roasts. The advantage of the whole-muscle roasts is less sinew and connective tissue, which takes hours to break down The process is simple: bone it out, removing the glands and any unwanted less desirables from the meat. Then truss it up /tie up your meat, brine your meat, then simmer it into tenderness. I like to follow the same instructions as regular corned beef. It takes quite a few days. Once finished the corned venison is fabulous hot or cold. We took a tuff less desirable piece of the deer and made it into a fantastic meal. We like cold in sandwiches or chopped made into hash then canned for the future use in breakfast meals.

Butter one side of each slice of Rye Bread. Place on flat top add ingredients thousand island dressing on to other side of Rye, corned venison, sauerkraut, topped with swiss cheese, add thousand island dressing to other side of sliced Rye and top. to 4 minutes on flat top or until browned & swiss cheese melts
recipe for thousand iland dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup Famos Daves Sweet relish
salt & pepper to taste
combine all ingredients.

sounds really good!! And looks even better. I like corned meats too. Corn Beef Brisket is one of my favorite meals.

I've corned wild turkey. Love it. Would like to hear your Corning recipe & process

Grew up on a hog farm were we had a meat curing business and meat processing: hams, sausages. crackling. Mainly most of my recipes are family's I continued to honor my grandparents meat curing & sausage & ham. They were Germans and loved to do what they do best, curing meats & sausage making.

Back