Sausage time....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Just getting ready for the fun time of year. One of my hobbies is making my own summer sausage, pepperoni, hotdogs and ring bologna. I'm passing on the bologna this fall but plan to do 50 pounds of summer sausage, 25 of Chicago Hotdogs and 25 pounds of pepperoni. I need to wait until November on the pepperoni because its a cured and cooked product but needs some drying time in fairly cool air. The Chicago Hotdogs are done in 32 mm casings, about 10mm larger than standard hotdogs, and are about as juicy as a hotdog can get....unbelievable flavor when given a very light smoke finish..

CmxoQjf.jpg

My deer season starts on November 4th and hopefully I will collect enough meat to help with a couple of the red meat batches, but I do have beef in the freezer along with adequate pork. A local store had pork shoulder at $.99/pound and I bought 75 pounds just for doing sausage. When I am done with the product seen in the picture I'll do some breakfast links and maybe another batch of bratwurst. Always can eat bratwurst, even in the dead of winter.

Learning to do that is on my bucket list someday when Im done raising kids and have more time, or any time. Deer brats and summer sausage are staples in our kitchen. But it gets expensive bringing trimmings to a meat shop to have sausage made. Enjoy the good eats.

Rolling your own is way less expensive and a whole lot more satisfying than one can imagine. I started doing this back in the early 70's and have a system down pat. Actually I love working with meat.

I use 32mm casings and twist the link at about 6". I give the links about two hours of smoke using a medium heat and then dunk the links in ice water for ten minutes, drain separate and package in vacuum sealed bags, 6 to a bag.

A Chicago hotdog is nothing more than a real thick hotdog. The difference between them and a regular hotdog is the juiciness of the larger dogs. I don't make the thin dogs anymore.

Back