pickled crappie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I hit the jackpot yesterday while jigging crappies so a few were kept for this holiday treat. I fillets the crappies and cut into 1- 1 1/2″ chunks and cover then with canning salt and set the bowl in the fridge for 24 hours. Then they get multiple rinses of cold water before draining well in a colander and going back into the bowl and covered with white vinegar. Back in the fridge they go for 24 hours.

When the fillets hit the fridge in vinegar I cook 2 1/2 cups of sugar and 1 1/2 cups of white vinegar and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of picking spices to the syrup while gently cooking. When the sugar has all dissolved I cover the pot and turn the heat off.

Tomorrow I’ll slice a medium onion very thin into rings and break them apart in a large bowl. I add the drained fish and the syrup. Lastly I add 1 1/2 cups of a decent sweet white wine. I’m using Muscato on this batch. Stir this well to mix everything. This can be kept in the fridge in an ice cream bucket or can be put into pint jars, filled loosely and topped off with the syrup.

5 days in the fridge. That’s all. And worth the wait.

Im an avid crappie fisherman also, have eaten them cooked, fried, and grilled, but have never had them pickled. Sounds good.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Herschel....

Catch them when the water is cold...late fall, early winter, early spring....and their flesh is firm. Use the recipe. Very good eats. I make these for the holidays and they don't last too long.

Here they are. I stole a chunk to sample and man this batch sure turned out good. Crackers, some cheese, a cold beer and these.....who needs turkey?

7VvSvcg.jpg

Lookin good. Don't get foundered eating all those.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Back