Ring Bologna

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I got 19 nice rings out of a 25 pound batch of venison /pork mix. 18 pounds of clean venison [no tendon, silver skin, fat, or bloodshot] and 7 pounds of pork shoulder with the fat made up the meat blend. I used Walton's Ring Bologna seasoning in this batch which is a bit spicier than the wiener/hotdog/bologna seasoning normally used....got a touch more black pepper. The meat was cut into 1" cubes and the dry ingredients and cure were mixed in along with about 28 ounces of bottled water, then ground thru a coarse plate and re-ground thru a 3mm plate. The mixture was stuffed into 40mm collagen casings, then given about three hours of warm smoke before hitting the hot water bath to finish. From the hot water to a cold bath then hung to dry for 12 hours, they got vacuum sealed and are awaiting the freezer.

I've always used the wiener/bologna seasoning in the past and gave this blend a try this time. After cooking up the plug of meat left in the stuffing nozzle I don't think I'll ever go back to the wiener/bologna again. This Ring blend is outstanding and tastes more like the old fashioned bologna I had as a kid.

e5bSUPK.jpg

I‘ll guess some of that will be in the crappie boat with you next spring.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

BuckDoeHunter said:
Those look good! I gotta try that.

Where do you hang them for the 12hr period?

When I built our garage I did so with nine foot sidewalls and rafters with a centerboard so the whole upstairs is open with a six foot ceiling down the center board. I have several lines of stainless screws screwed along and just above the bottom edges of the floor joisting. I think I have like 70 screws along six or eight joists. The screws are long enough that the sausages can hang and not come in contact with the wood, but that really wouldn't matter. I used to make a lot of snack sticks from venison and made them 3 feet long, then folded them over to hang after stuffing. I'd let them dry like that for three or four days then use a fairly warm smoke to get them to 155 degrees, then they'd go back to hanging for another week. They'd shrink up a bit and dry down so they weren't that soft mushy, fatty tasting stuff and had some character to them....not quite jerky, but just as spicy and tasty. That's why I have all those screws up there. Stainless screws will not react with the salts and cures found in sausage seasonings while galvanized or anodized products will.

Making your own sausage really isn't that hard and the cost is less than most people think. For a couple years the price per pound will be about like having your meat done professionally since you're paying for equipment but once that gets factored out and you settle on a good product line you just can't get happier than doing it yourself and if you have family to help out it really completes the hunting circle. I've made my own processed venison for more than 40 years. I don't trust anyone with my meat anymore. By doing it myself I know exactly what I have.

Back