What game tastes best

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redclub

Reaction score
Here is the way I rate them. How about you guys? These are for antlered animals, no young ones. No Sausage
1.Moose
2.Elk
3.Mule deer
4.Whitetail
5.Caribou
6.Pronghorn

Redclub

Only had moose, elk & whitetail. I rank whitetail first, elk 2nd and moose 3rd. All are fine eatin though.

It's not really a fair rating to go by antlered animals only. I know that's what most people shoot but when you pick an animal to eat you do not pick the oldest of the bunch. The younger animals are far better eating.

Without antlers in the ranking process ...I'll take a young fat corn fed doe any day! :D

I like Elk, moose, pronghorn, white tail and then muledeer. Never had caribou so left it out. Of the five, I found the pronghorn the most tender.

I have never had elk ,moose,muley, or bou. But I eat alot of whitetail and like it just swell. But the wild hog some of the guys brought me,especially the sausage was fantastic.

Rifleman said:
I have never had elk ,moose,muley, or bou. But I eat alot of whitetail and like it just swell. But the wild hog some of the guys brought me,especially the sausage was fantastic.

Glad you liked it R-man! I must say the Mrs. Rifleman can surely make some fine venison! Likely the best I have ever had!!

YUMMY! :lol: 8) :shock:

Not sure if you have these up north but here in Texas they have Axis deer. Think they were brought in from Asia, not sure. They are hands down the best I have tasted. They get big too. Shot a nice buck that dressed out over 250 pounds this year with a Encore. The meat is very red. Wish i could get one every year.

#1 Elk
#2 Moose
#3 Antelope
#4 Whitetail
#5 Caribou
#6 Mule Deer
#7 Black Bear

Loggy said:
Only had moose, elk & whitetail. I rank whitetail first, elk 2nd and moose 3rd. All are fine eatin though.
The best tasting animal huh? I think it's the first animal you ever harvested, no matter what it was , rabbit , dove, squirrel, deer, etc.

Lets see now
#1 Elk
#2 Whitetail
#3 Moose
#4 pheasant
#5 Rabbit
#6 squirrel
#7 Pronghorn

I don't do a lot of marinades as I like the slight wild taste, I do mix in about 10 % pork sausage to my venison as I like the spices it adds plus it needs a little fat.

Redclub said:
Here is the way I rate them. How about you guys? These are for antlered animals, no young ones. No Sausage
1.Moose
2.Elk
3.Mule deer
4.Whitetail
5.Caribou
6.Pronghorn

Redclub

1. Elk with out question...any day of the week.
2. Whitetail
3. Mule deer
4. Moose (and the first time I had it ... it was terrible)
5. Caribou .. has a strange taste to it. I can eat it but prefer not to. It does make good sausage though.
6. Pronghorn.. I had some that tasted like old sage brush. And it was tuff. I was not impressed. I was impressed with the buck he shot.

1.Moose, northern BC, none of that Alberta muskeg walking bear bait
2.pronghorn
3.caribou
4.elk
5.whitetail
6.mulie

While not a true antlered game, my #1 is definately oryx or gemsbok but they are horned animals.

1. oryx
2. moose
3. elk
4. caribou
5. deer

1. Axis
2. Blackbuck
3. Elk
4. Buffalo a.k.a. American Bison

Never had moose or caribou.

younghunter_86 said:
80# corn/soybean/alfalfa fed whitetail. They don't yield alot but the meat in amazing!

I'm with you, younghunter_86. That's usually what hits my freezer. I am lucky enough to hunt a farm that is over-run with does and spikes and they get damage stamps every year. Yay for out team!

Back