What's the worst Wild Game food you ever ate?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzzle Man

Reaction score
Mine was Mountain Lion Jerky.

Next was wild Boar , wild hog is good eatin but the mature boar was pretty nasty IMHO.

Joe

I had some bear at a wild game feed that was just awful. Poorly trimmed and poorly cooked, it wasn't the bears fault. I've had bear on two more occasions and it was fabulous.

Don't know nothin' about mountain lion or wild hogs but I know bear meat must be properly cared for from the moment it's shot. It has to be cleaned and cooled quickly and processed ASAP.

From what I've read mountain lion is supposed to be very good. But I'm sure it's like everything else. It needs to be properly cleaned and prepared.

Worst wild game food

Went to a wild game dinner at a local club. Stood in line 1 1/2 hrs to get my plate full. Last guy in the line said, want to try some FOX. Replied sure im game. Put a spoon full on my plate with the rest of my food. When I got to my table I had to try it first. TASTED LIKE A WET DOG SMELLS!!! YUKKK. Everthing on my plate tasted like wet dog!! Back to the line , another hour in line told the last guy I will pass on the fox this time thanks anyway.

It is all a matter of how it is cooked and personal tastes, so take no offence to what I say. For instance I had moose at a friends house that about made me sick. Yet I had moose other times that was fantastic. The same with Bison. One time it was tuff as an old shoe and the next time it was pretty good.

Pronghorn was all right, but I would not ask for seconds. It had a strange taste to it. Also I had caribou once that tasted terrible. I was later told it depends on what the animal has been eating.

The worst I ever ate was roasted raccoon. When we were kids we were camping and decided we would feed ourselves from the woods and stream. We shot a raccoon one evening. All excited, we put that on a spit, and roasted it. It was not very good I thought. Yet in the morning when I was kind of hungry, it was not all that bad...

I never ate cougar, but heard it was really good. OH ya.. Then there was the time we were kids and shot mud hen/coots/ what ever you want to call them... ducks. We cooked one of them and no of us could eat the thing.

I had BBQ made out of Ground Hog or Coon once that was good, the beer probably helped. :) Another thing I could never choke down was Mt. Oysters, I tried em all, Beef, Pork,Turkey,Lamb,Duck, yes Duck. I could never get past what they were even with a belly full of beer when I was much younger!!! None of that was wild so I'm getting off topic. .......

Joe

Worst

Goose! We spent a ton buying the stuffing and fixins for the big game dinner at camp. Manit was the saturday before buck and a tradional dinner. We threw it out.....We had a bear visiting us at that time and he would n't eat it either, not a coon nor none of the varmints....It smelled great cookin'....... Ate monkey overseas it was okay, and I am not real fond of goat meat......

Old Sika buck from VA's Eastern shore. The tenderloins were so tough you could hardly cut them. Whatever marsh grass/shrubs they were eating gave them a very strong sage taste as well. Even the dog thought it was bad.

Now I've never tried it but many years ago I father was moose hunting and met a trapper who invited them in for a bite to eat. My dad had what they were cooking and thought it tasted like goose and almost looked like it. Said it was pretty good. Found out if was beaver.

Muzzle Man said:
I had BBQ made out of Ground Hog or Coon once that was good, the beer probably helped. :) Another thing I could never choke down was Mt. Oysters, I tried em all, Beef, Pork,Turkey,Lamb,Duck, yes Duck. I could never get past what they were even with a belly full of beer when I was much younger!!! None of that was wild so I'm getting off topic. .......

Joe

Joe!!! Ya gotta cook em first :lol:

Best BBQ Iever eat was BBQ coon sandwich! Had it at a wild game feed. Liked it so much I made it myself at home. Take a dressed coon and cut into pieces. Place into a pressure cooker with a little water or stock and cook for 30 minutes or so. Remove everything from pressure cooker and let meat cool a little. Then seperate meat from bones and place back into cooker with your favorate BBQ sauce and simmer for a short time. Place on a bun or bread and dig in.
Worst I ever eat was the first time my wife tryed to cook duck following verbal instuctions from one of her freinds. Bad instructions very bad duck. Couldn't even chew it it was so tuff. We laugh about it now but I remember few tears back then . :lol: :cry:

Don

Mine was a bull while visiting in Colorado. My buddy who lived thier went to visit his freinds and they gave him some meat from a dead bull that someone hit with a car. Man we took it to his house and after about ten beers decided to make hamburgers out of it. THIS WAS THE WORST DAMN MEAT IV EVER HAD.

RAF said:
Now I've never tried it but many years ago I father was moose hunting and met a trapper who invited them in for a bite to eat. My dad had what they were cooking and thought it tasted like goose and almost looked like it. Said it was pretty good. Found out if was beaver.

Rumor is, beaver tail is a delicacy. The fellows on the Lewis and Clark expedition seemed to really love it.

Grilled goose breast, hands down ! Lab wouldn't eat it and he'll eat damned near anything.

Brute! I'm with you!!
I never ate a goose that tasted even remotely good.
If someone has a good recipe, please share!

In my younger days a bunch of us guys were standing outside having a couple colt 1s and a goose ran slam dunk right into a power line and broke its neck. One of the guys plucked it and cleaned it. He cut it up into pieces, sprinkled it with shake and bake, and baked it for an hour or so. It was the worst plucking stuff I ever ate. I shudder to think what it would have tasted like had I been sober.

Back