CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

Browsers Types

If you need any technical help, please ask! Also if you are having issues with the forum please let us know about it. No longer open to guest posts.

Moderators: halloflin, Senior Moderators

ShawnT
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Browsers Types

Postby ShawnT » Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 pm

For those of you IT guys or experienced PC gurus, what Browsers do you like. I have had issues off and on with IE11 on Win7PC. I tried Chrome and am not particularly liking it. Wondering how FireFox would be before I download it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
ShawnT

NRA and NAHC Life Member
Knight Ultra Light 50 Cal
Knight .54 cal MK-95 Magnum Elite Stainless Camo
2 Knight 50 cal MK-95 Magnum Elites Stainless Black
Knight KRB7 Blue/Black 50 cal.
Knight MK-85 Stalker Blue/Black .54 cal
Knight LK-93 .36 cal. Blue Black
Ridgerunner Inline.32 cal

halloflin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Browsers Types

Postby halloflin » Wed May 17, 2017 8:00 pm

I have been using Firefox on my Mac for years and have had no issues.
“When a hunter is in a treestand with moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God.” Fred Bear

ShawnT
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Postby ShawnT » Wed May 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks Hal!
ShawnT

NRA and NAHC Life Member

GM54-120
Administrator
Administrator

Postby GM54-120 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:25 pm

IMO Chrome is actually a better browser than Firefox. Its quite a bit faster and less buggy. Also IMO about 3-4 updates ago when FireFox switched to ESR is when it got worse.

I still use Firefox but Chrome is the better of the two.
Image 08-07-2013

03mossy

Postby 03mossy » Wed May 17, 2017 10:24 pm

I've tried them all. Been using Chrome for the past 6 months. Took some getting used to but love it now. I work out of 3 different offices plus on the road and it syncs up all 4 of my computers and my tablet and phone. Pretty handy.
T/C Omega .50
White Lightning .50
Knight Mountaineer .45 1-20"
Apparently I have no brand loyalty...anybody got a CVA for sale... :think:

SteveH
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SteveH » Thu May 18, 2017 6:25 am

I agree with the above. I have been a longtime user of Firefox, since it was the open source upstart challenging Microsoft Explorer. Of late it seems to be more buggy with certain websites, particularly those damn ones that pop up videos without my asking. I've stuck with it out of some kind of misplaced loyalty, but have had to load up Chrome to use certain sites better. Unless it improves, I am likely to make the full switch when I upgrade my computer.
SteveH

Omega X7
Disc Extreme

GM54-120
Administrator
Administrator

Postby GM54-120 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Firefox came out with FireFox ESR not too long ago. Many addons no longer work with it at all. I get way more "script not responding" errors now too. Most of those are related to Adobe Flash type stuff. Ive yet to have a similar error with Chrome. Im just not a huge fan of how Chrome is laid out.

Chrome with AdBlock Plus has a neat little side effect. Normally if i watch a video on say....BBC America with Firefox/Adblock it still plays the commercials. Using Chrome and Adblock it does not. It fades out for the commercial and then within a second its back to the video.

Video play back is also much better on many of these type of websites. Video and audio get out of sync a lot with Firefox on some websites.

Here try it for yourself. Skip the BBC sign in and just use your ISP sign in. It will give you a ISP list to choose from after you press skip
http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/doctor- ... -05-oxygen
Image 08-07-2013

ShawnT
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Postby ShawnT » Thu May 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks guys!. I know a little but nothing like most of you so was hoping to see info like this. IE got to a point of hanging my PC up and a couple times completely hung so bad had to Hard boot. Since loading Chrome I have not seen that but was not all that impressed. Could not seem to set up some things they way I liked or download the same way. Guess it is just like anything I just need to get used to it. I'm glad I asked before downloading FireFox, I will just skip it.

On a side note, are you guys running Win10. If so do you like it?
ShawnT

NRA and NAHC Life Member

mattloflin
Technical Support
Technical Support

Postby mattloflin » Thu May 18, 2017 6:30 pm

My $.02 -> I use Chrome, it syncs well across devices and is my default. I've installed AdBlock as an extension to stop all the Ads on websites and it integrates well with my Gmail account.

If you're looking for a super simple browser - try out Microsoft Edge (new browser). It doesn't have all the bells and whistles (yet) but is simple.

Internet Explorer is known to be buggy so i'd avoid it.

Firefox I've not used in years - nothing against it, just for a period of time they weren't updating too frequently and then Chrome took over.

:poke: If you want to go old school - try to find a working version of Netscape... or if you have an old AOL disc laying around, i'm sure you could try to get some free minutes from them :lol:
- Matt

Fixer of Things Broken.

ShawnT
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Postby ShawnT » Thu May 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks Matt. I finally got fed up with IE. Too buggy, got slow, and just kept hanging up, the thing about upgrading to Win 10 popping up all the time :evil: seemed to really screw with IE and I keep thinking it is what started the downward spiral to the way it acts now. seemed to all start back then. So far Chrome works ok. I was just used to the way IE worked. But so far Chrome has not hung up and works faster.

I don't want anything to do with AOL. :d'oh!: :lol:
ShawnT

NRA and NAHC Life Member

ShawnT
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Postby ShawnT » Thu May 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Hey guys! I found the AdBlock Plus Extension. I loaded it and then checked a couple sites, LIKE PHOTOBUCKET!, man did that work great! Photobucket had got to the point that the ads always made IE crash. It worked like a whole new site. I was even keeping my speakers turned off because I have a separate tab to show TV guide and it always played an annoying video you could not keep shut off till now!

Thanks! :prayer: :goodman:
ShawnT

NRA and NAHC Life Member

edmehlig
Contributor
Contributor

Postby edmehlig » Fri May 19, 2017 12:31 am

Shawn, here's another vote for Chrome. Like you I found to many bugs/problems with IE. I've been using Chrome for at least 3 years now. I found it to be faster. I now have Windows 10 and still getting use to it.
1 - White M98/.451
3 - White M97/.451
1 - Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker / 50Cal

ShawnT
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Postby ShawnT » Fri May 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks Ed. Actually am seeing Chrome is working better that I had originally though now that I installed the AdBlock Plus extension Gm and Matt mentioned. I'll get use to it I'm sure, just sometimes hard to change from something you've used for so long.

Still not sure I want to go to Win 10. All our company stuff is Win7 so not sure I want to change that yet till I have to.
ShawnT

NRA and NAHC Life Member

fiberoptik2313

Postby fiberoptik2313 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:03 pm

chrome & Google are bigger on spying on people & selling info about them more than anyone else on the net. Avoid at all costs. I use duck duck go for search engine, Safari or Firefox for browser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Help Forum”