Buffalo ready

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This coming Wednesday is the day I go to harvest a buffalo.
I had taken the scope , bases and rings off my Super Safari and put on a peep sight so I decided to use a different gun . One with a scope
I decided on the Disc 1:20 because I wanted to use Ed's bullet .
My load was to be 90 gr 777 , triple 7 primers and the 465 gr conical with a veggie wad.
I decided to shoot at a 100 and see if it was on paper .i was pleasantly surprised that it was dead center but about 6 inches high .
I made one adjustment ,that brought it down to about 3 or 4 inches high .
I moved the target to 125 yards .
That put me about 1 1/2 inches high
I didn't exactly measure . I couldn't see the the second shot so I walked to the target . It looked pretty good to me .I shot 3 more that made the group look even better but didn't get pics as I was to lazy to walk in the snow again but they were almost all touching
Then I tried a couple shots at 150 yards which would be max distance.
About 1 inch group. Good to go I think .

Looks like you are ready. Good luck on the hunt. Guy i use to work with a a bunch of buffalo jerkey and it was excellent!

Heck yea, your ready.
Looking forward to a hunt write up, Hope your freezer has room for lots of meat, they are big critters!

Awesome shooting. Looking forward to the story of the hunt and finding out just how much meat you have to pack out.

Can't wait to see your report. Hopefully you see a bang flop like your Elk and you'll be able to recover the bullet.

Good Luck and take plenty of pictures.

Good luck on the Hunt. That sure will be something to take an animal that large.

halloflin said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
halloflin said:
Is this an open season hunt or one that you have to get drawn on? What state?
South Dakota. Tribal tag from the Reservation

So you put in for it and so many are drawn?
These were bought over the counter tags for cows that did not take so they are culled out for that reason .

Best of luck, you'll down one like in 1874!
Looking forward to your story and photos.

1874, for most of us, big game hunting season is over.
So, I recalled reading a recent article on Buffalo hunting in the 1963 Gun Digest.
Maybe you can get into such a position.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-6.jpg
    FullSizeRender-6.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 333
  • FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 333
edmehlig said:
Well how did you do???
Did good. Going to try to get some pictures posted soon . Ended up having to take an 87 yard shot kneeling and she wouldn't stop so I took the shot when she was walking slowly . I was either awful lucky or practice paid off or both cause when I got her dressed out I had hit her right through the heart . The bullet evidently expanded before hitting the heart though as the hole was massive. Either that or it ripped somewhat when I pulled it out . But either way she is cooled and hanging now . About a 900 pound cow .

Congrads on the Buffalo! :applause: Can't wait for the pics!

Back