CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

Black powder revolvers

Tell us how you like the board or offer suggestions.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

User avatar
oldfox
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:26 pm
Location: Maine

Black powder revolvers

Postby oldfox » Sun May 26, 2013 4:00 pm

I notice quite a few black powder replica revolvers on the market and they seem to becoming more popular as ammo and reloading components become scarce. I myself would like to see a forum on these and anyone that shoots them. I am not that familiar with them, but would like to learn a bit more..

User avatar
halloflin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1539
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Black powder revolvers

Postby halloflin » Sun May 26, 2013 5:42 pm

oldfox wrote:I notice quite a few black powder replica revolvers on the market and they seem to becoming more popular as ammo and reloading components become scarce. I myself would like to see a forum on these and anyone that shoots them. I am not that familiar with them, but would like to learn a bit more..


I think that would be a good idea IF we have enough people that are interested in separating this out as a specific topic. I do not own one but have always wanted one of the old Navy BP revolvers. I have been looking at the CVA Optima V2 pistol as well because you can use BH209 out of it and from everything that I have read it is a very accurate pistol. Busta, on this forum, has hunted with one and shared some info with me about them.

I'll keep a watch on this thread and see if we get more that are interested.

Do you have one?
“When a hunter is in a treestand with moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God.” Fred Bear

User avatar
cayuga
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 9997
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Black powder revolvers

Postby cayuga » Sun May 26, 2013 6:20 pm

I am on my third black powder revolver. The first one was a 1851 Navy replica in .44 caliber. The Navy has no top strap. And I had a chain fire in it and stretched the frame. After getting it fixed, it worried me too much to shoot it, so I sold it to a person that wanted a wall hanger.

The second one was a Jukar .45 caliber single shot horse pistol. The thing was a piece of junk, but I got it free, fixed it, refinished it and shot it. I had a very good friend that was fascinated with it, so I gave it to him.

The one I currently own is a Pietta (sold by Cabela's) It is a .44 caliber shooting a .451 roundball. It is made in Italy. Mine is the target model. It is a REMINGTON (NAME ONLY) NEW ARMY target model 1858. It is a very accurate and reliable revolver. I shoot 25 grains of 3f Jim Shockey Gold powder and that ball.

Depending on who makes the revolver, Ruger, Uberti, Pietta, Colt, and others, they all might take a different size ball. Mine likes a .451, but some of them like a .454 or even a .457. Depending on the model of the revolver, a Navy, Army, Dragoon, Walker, Ruger they all might take a different powder charge. The Dragoon, Walker and Ruger take the larger charges and handle them well. Since I do not hunt with mine (illegal for deer) I shoot a nice manageable target load that is both fun to shoot and very accurate.
My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

User avatar
oldfox
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:26 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Black powder revolvers

Postby oldfox » Sun May 26, 2013 8:38 pm

smyrnagc wrote:
I think that would be a good idea IF we have enough people that are interested in separating this out as a specific topic. I do not own one but have always wanted one of the old Navy BP revolvers. I have been looking at the CVA Optima V2 pistol as well because you can use BH209 out of it and from everything that I have read it is a very accurate pistol. Busta, on this forum, has hunted with one and shared some info with me about them.

I'll keep a watch on this thread and see if we get more that are interested.

Do you have one?


I don't have one Hal, but like you I have an interest in them

User avatar
oldfox
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:26 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Black powder revolvers

Postby oldfox » Mon May 27, 2013 12:53 pm

cayuga wrote:The one I currently own is a Pietta (sold by Cabela's) It is a .44 caliber shooting a .451 roundball. It is made in Italy. Mine is the target model. It is a REMINGTON (NAME ONLY) NEW ARMY target model 1858. It is a very accurate and reliable revolver. I shoot 25 grains of 3f Jim Shockey Gold powder and that ball.


That is the one that peaked my interest in these revolvers Dave. Those that have them seem to praise the quality and the accuracy of them. Many models to choose from....kinda like a kid in a candy store :lol:

User avatar
cayuga
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 9997
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Black powder revolvers

Postby cayuga » Mon May 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Lots of models, but remember... the Navy has no top strap. So if they tell you the max charge is 30 grains.. keep it at least 20% less then that. With no top strap it is easier to load the cylinder, but also easier to stretch the fame should you have any mishap. My original Navy was a very good shooter. And I shot hundreds of rounds through it. BUT when it chain fired, that was the end of it.

Also some of the Pietta owners I have read claimed that the fix sight model that are not adjustable, are hard to get onto target. I purchased the target model with the adjustable sights. I have never regretted that move.

Image

This was where I was testing cornmeal as a buffer between the powder and the bullet. I was shooting off a rest so the tight group is common. I always liked a revolver, even though I carried a pistol on the police department at the end. But for some reason the revolver always worked for me.

If you decide to make the jump... get a bottle of Jim Shockey Gold 3f or American Pioneer 3f powder. It has plenty of power, and is easy to clean. I cut my teeth shooting black powder 3f or Pyrodex P and while they worked, I constantly had to break the revolver down and clean it. Just to load it again so it would function. With JSG I was able to shoot 60 rounds one afternoon without breaking the revolver down.
My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.


Return to “Suggestions and Comments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest