250 Powerbelt AeroTip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhntr53

Reaction score
I am trying to work up a powder load for the 250 PowerBelt AeroTip. I will be using Triple 7 2F powder. Should I start low about 80gr and work up to see what accuracy I get? This will be for elk hunting this fall in Colorado. Also, are peep sights legal for muzzleloader hunting elk in Colorado? Old eyes don't see rear sights too well these days.

bwhntr53 :D

80 grains would be a good start. BUT many powerbelts begin to preform poorly when you get them too hot. Since these are Aero Tips, they might hold up better. BUT I have never shot an animal with a powerbelt. I do find them accurate. But you might read some real horror stories from some, and glowing reviews from another.

What kind of rifle are your shooting. Have you ever heard of Bull Shop Conicals or No Excuses are another? They might work better then a Powerbelt. Also this is an all copper conical called a Thor that should work and shoot real well.

As for the peep sight, I am not sure if they are legal.

I just shot the AeroTip with 80gr. of the Triple 7. Shot fairly well, shooting at only 30 yards, with a 1inch group, but I would like lower to maybe 70gr. to see if that might group a little better, but afraid that I won't get enough KE for elk, out from 75 to 100 yards. Which will be my farthest range, that I will attempt a shot. Maybe I could go up in bullet weight, to help with the KE. I did try 90gr first, and it did not like that at all. Would not group together at all. I have the TC Impact .50cal. I do know one thing about the Impact. With Hornady sabots and a scope, this Impact that I have will shoot, and I have done it, 1" groups at 100 yards, with 2-50gr pellets. Bench rest, of course. I know that there are other muzzleloaders out there that may shoot better, but I settled on the Impact. I am just having to work out a good load for elk in Colorado, with open sights.
"Have you ever heard of Bull Shop Conicals or No Excuses are another? They might work better then a PowerBelt. Also this is an all copper conical called a Thor that should work and shoot real well."

I will look into these that you suggested. As long as are not sabots, they are legal in Colorado.

white504007-1.jpg

This is my go to conical. Its pure lead. Weighs in at 460 grains so once you get it moving, it has a lot of thump. And you can see the expansion. Almost an inch, and you put a hole that big in a critter it is going down.

I was working up a deer load. I was only shooting 65 grains of 2f 777 powder. I shot at a chunk of poplar fire wood.

white504003.jpg

Because of the weight of the conical it can penetrate. This made 8 inches into solid wood. I was sure that a deer did not stand a chance.

white504009.jpg

And out of my White Ultra Mag, they are very accurate. My White has a 1-24 twist. Whether your Impact will shoot them well or not I can not say. They do shoot well out of my Black Diamond XR.

Thanks for the information. I am getting busy now, since the hunt is in September. I am going to try both the .460 Conical and the .504 Bull Shop, starting back down at 60gr of 2f 777 powder, to see which one shoots the best. Do I need anything between the powder load and the conical? Such as a wadding? I am used to the sabots, so I have not shot conicals. From 50 to 75 yards, I am going with more KE from the heavier Conical/Bull Shop, still should have plenty of velocity. Wow on the pictures of the Conical and the Bull Shop. With the open sights, 100 yards or less will be my maximum distance shot anyway.

Thanks,

I have shot with and without wads under the conical bullets. My White Rifle is not fussy. If you need wads, and you have some hollow hole punches handy, get some 100% wool felt from the lumber yard. Its used to line windows to stop drafts. A 9/16th punch makes some real nice wads. Or you can purchase some wads from Track of the Wolf. You rifle might like them and then it might not. All you can do is try.

100% my opinion, but I would stay away from the PB for elk unless you are going for a head shot. I used to be an advocate for them, but on more than one occasion, I have seen terrible results on elk, which have resulted in a lost animal, both personally and from my hunting buddy. I think they are too soft, and they just don't penetrate on a burly animal like an elk. One elk I harvested stood broadside at 90 yards and sucked up 7 348 grain Power Belts. Shot placement ranged from right behind the shoulder in the pump station to high on the shoulder (I was doing anything in my power to try and put him down when he finally crashed with the last speed loader I had!) I am making the switch to Thor bullets for this season, and am hoping for DRT results.

FYI, peep sites are allowed here in Colorado.
Per the regulations: Only open of iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber Optics and Flourecent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal. Scopes, or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries and electronic gear are prohibited in muzzleloading seasons.

I'll also note that sabots and pelletized powders are prohibited.

The 250gr AeroTip is too fragile for elk. If you must use a PB look into the 405gr lead flat points. The expansion will be similar to a 400gr lead conical. There is no need for a hollow point in a soft lead bullet. A large metplat does just fine instead and expansion is more predictable.

Well. I just bought some .270gr PB Platinum. Using 90gr of 777 powder, I am still shooting 1" groups at 50 yards. But if they don't have good KE, accuracy doesn't mean anything. I guess I can keep the .270gr for deer, and I will have to order now. Bass Pro does not have any heavier grain where I live. I will have to order through the catalogue.

bwhntr53 :d'oh!:

:think: :think: If you have a smelter you can melt them real easy for fishing sinkers, or for the same price you can get some reallllllll bullet. :yeah: :yeah:

Back