Blackhorn 209 Blackpowder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinhood06

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people out there prefere the blackhorn 209 powder over tripple 7 pellets? All that I've ever used in my cva wolf is the pellets and it stinks and is a mess when cleaning. My cousin used the Blackhorn 209 for the first time in his TC omega and cleaned it with 2 paches and hot soapy water. In the FAQ'S on blackhorn.com they say not to use the water to clean and no need for the anti seeze products. Then you here about missfire after a few shot with this powder. How do you all feel about this product that use it? Also what is the breech plug grease used for? I've always used the TC anti seeze. Thanks in advance to you all. what a great bunch of folks. :lol:

So far my most accurate muzzleloader is my TC Omega in .50 cal. It has not seen any powder other than BH209. I have no intentions of using any other powder in it. I have used Goex, Pyrodex RS and Select, T7 2f and 3f, over the years. I have no desire to ever use those powders again. I have fired over 50 shots in a row without cleaning or experiencing any hang fires. In fact the only hangfire was right after cleaning a breechplug. Once the flame channel was built up it fired just fine. When I hunt, I verify zero and don't touch a thing (no cleaning of bore or breechplug) until my season is done. My Omega is stainless steel and it has not rusted from BH209 residue or fouling. I see a white residue but it wipes right off. YMMV.

I use Hoppes No 9 to clean my bore. Water makes a mess with BH209. The CVA foaming bore cleaner works great also. I hit it with some KG1 carbon cleaner and its good to go.

I use BH209 in my TC Omega, Knight DE .45 and .50 cal, and I will use it in my new to me .52 cal. Since I am not permitted by law to use smokeless powder in muzzleloader season here in New Mexico, I will be using a heavy charge of BH209 in my custom RemPac with big pointy bullets for next years elk season (assuming I draw a tag). Blackhorn 209 is the real deal.

I really like BH209 but it is still mildly corrosive. Cleaning as soon as possible after shooting is still a good idea. Humidity and other conditions will vary the amount of time it takes to rust.

Unfired BH209 is nearly non corrosive. It can been left loaded in a clean bore for long periods. Its the fouling that draws moisture and then eventually causes corrosion.

You will likely need the BH209 breach plug from Western Powders if you have a newer Wolf with the quick release breach plug. Keeping it clean of carbon will make it very reliable.

Clean it like this BY HAND and only clean out the CHANNEL with a drill bit.
bp_diagram.jpg

Normal CVA plugs need a 3mm drill bit. Westerns BH209 plug needs a 1/8th drill bit. CVA also offers an improved quick release plug but the Western plug is better. Ron used to offer converting the regular plug for a reasonable fee and his work best IMO.

:D

I've shot as many as 45/50 rounds before I swabbed the barrel. Pulled the breech plug 6/7 times to clear it from carbon build up.
I never had a hang, or miss fire using BLACKHORN 209.
I think that people have trouble because:
They have the wrong breech plug....or they aren't reeming their B/P correctly...........
Or they aren't using a hot primer................
IMHO.......I don't think you should use WATER when cleaning your rifle when using BLACKHORN. It's not black powder. It's a subtitute. I use HOPPE'S or the BIRCHWOOD CASEY cleaning products. It doesn't take alot of cleaning time or material to clean your rifle either...........Check out that BLACKHORN site again

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

Ray...... :wink:

I love BH209 and use it in all my Inlines with proper breech plugs. Shame I cannot get it to work in sidehammer MLs or I would be shooting it in them too.

Pretty much everything has been said in the thread that needs to be said. BH209 is simply a superior substitute to other subs. As pointed out smokeless cleaning products is all that is really needed. Butches Bore Shine is one of my favourite products. It picks up where others leaves off. I generally start by using Hoppes and leave off using Butches.

Edwardamason said:
I love BH209 and use it in all my Inlines with proper breech plugs. Shame I cannot get it to work in sidehammer MLs or I would be shooting it in them too.

Pretty much everything has been said in the thread that needs to be said. BH209 is simply a superior substitute to other subs. As pointed out smokeless cleaning products is all that is really needed. Butches Bore Shine is one of my favourite products. It picks up where others leaves off. I generally start by using Hoppes and leave off using Butches.

Ed, do you find the Butches works better than the Montana X-treme BH 209 cleaner?

Hi all.... Im new to ML'ing and just looking into options for components. It seems like BH209 is something to try. I picked up 777 pellets to try also, but Id like to try BH209 too. On their website they have charge tubes

https://www.westernpowders.com/charge_t ... uct_id=145

It says that they weigh by volume which is different than grain scale weighing like im used to with metallic loading. Can these tubes be used to measure a charge or is a powder charge measure used then poured in to these for ease of carry and easy identification of which charge you have?

dave19113 said:
Hi all.... Im new to ML'ing and just looking into options for components. It seems like BH209 is something to try. I picked up 777 pellets to try also, but Id like to try BH209 too. On their website they have charge tubes

https://www.westernpowders.com/charge_t ... uct_id=145

It says that they weigh by volume which is different than grain scale weighing like im used to with metallic loading. Can these tubes be used to measure a charge or is a powder charge measure used then poured in to these for ease of carry and easy identification of which charge you have?

I weight the charge and then pour it into vials to carry into the field. Personally I feel that this makes each charge more closely the same. This is from the Blackhorn website:

If you prefer to weigh charges, you can convert the volume load recommendations into weighed grains by multiplying the volume load by 0.7. Example: 100 units by volume x 0.7 = 70 grains by weight. 110 volume charge x 0.7 = 77 grains by weight.

dave19113

Google Lanes Powder Tubes He also uses Ebay if you wish or you can email him
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Muzzleloader ... 0530222386
Or
http://www.smokelessmz.com/vials.html

They are both much cheaper than Westerns powder vials. Get the 10ML size. The bullets, sabots and charges will all fit in a 10ml vial. Small vials are good for extra primers.

Blackhorn209 will safely meter through any CF powder dispenser. Other subs WILL NOT. I weigh all mine simply because its super easy with my setup and its much less wasteful. The first time you could also use volume and once you find out what yours likes by volume, weigh 5 volume charges and get an average weight. Then you can weigh them out into tubes for next time.

Much thanks for the info...

I was looking to find out though if, for instance, in the field I would not have a reload can I pour BH209 powder into a BH powdertube using the marked lines on the tube and be somewhat accurate in a pinch?

dave19113 said:
Much thanks for the info...

I was looking to find out though if, for instance, in the field I would not have a reload can I pour BH209 powder into a BH powdertube using the marked lines on the tube and be somewhat accurate in a pinch?

I would weigh several loads out and see (and / or mark) where they fall in the tubes and then "in a pinch" I would think you would be ok with pouring them straight into the tube. I will do five tubes that I take in my backpack. I have never shot more than three times in a hunting situation.

I will also second the Lanes Powder Tubes. You can get ten of them very cheep.

robinhood06 said:
Just wondering how many people out there prefere the blackhorn 209 powder over tripple 7 pellets? All that I've ever used in my cva wolf is the pellets and it stinks and is a mess when cleaning. My cousin used the Blackhorn 209 for the first time in his TC omega and cleaned it with 2 paches and hot soapy water. In the FAQ'S on blackhorn.com they say not to use the water to clean and no need for the anti seeze products. Then you here about missfire after a few shot with this powder. How do you all feel about this product that use it? Also what is the breech plug grease used for? I've always used the TC anti seeze. Thanks in advance to you all. what a great bunch of folks. :lol:

robinhood06,

The Grease is used to prevent the breech plug from seizing in place due to powder fouling. The newer "quick release" type lugs may not need it, but if you have one of the older Wolf rifles that need a wrench to remove the plug you should apply the grease to the threads, otherwise some blowback can enter the threads and cause the plug to seize. You can use the tubes of grease sold as breech plug grease, Buy a long tube of automotive grease like Mobile 1, or do like some of us and switch to good ole white Teflon tape.

As for the powder, you will find most all of the guys here shoot loose powder. Pellets can sometimes prove to shoot erratic as the boxes are not sealed so they can draw moisture. Pellets also have another down side in that you are limiting the size of the charge right from the start. With loose powder the charge size can be "taylored" to your rifle. As for the "Ease of use in the field argument" with pellets, it really is not any harder to use loose in the field. As stated get the tubes and pre charge them and it is then just as easy to dump a tube as drop pellets. I like those Lanes Tubes as mentioned. They have a screw top and you can even drop a bullet/sabot and powder in one of the large tubes (50cal), now you have a "speed loader". :wink: 8)

As a real world example for you....in use BH209 in my Encore. About a month ago, I took a friend to my range so he could get his new Acura sighted in. Of course I figured I would check mine out and before you knew it, by the time we started at 50 yds and ended up at 100, I had shot probably 15 times.

Well, the gun went back in the safe and then last Saturday we hit the range again and I shot at least 15 more. No swabbing, never pulled the breech plug, great accuracy.

So I pulled it out yesterday and pulled the plug because mz season starts this Saturday. It came out fine. It was pretty grimy with primer fouling so it got a Hoppe's bath and a good scrub followed by a rinse in lacquer thinner to get rid of the oiliness. Went ahead and cleaned the bore and I will likely alcohol wash it on Friday evening to ensure it is dry and won't change my POI too badly.

Do I say this is how to treat your rifle all the time? No. But if you had done that with a sugar powder you would be in a world of hurt.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Can I drill out my breech plug of my kodiak pro magnum for use with blackhorn 209 to cure the misfires I get ?

Back