Bore Fouling Procedure During Hunting Season?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrah

Reaction score
So as we all know, for one reason or another the first shot on many MLs doesn't group with subsequent shots; hence the recommendation for shooting with a "fouled bore" when it counts, say when hunting.

So what is your bore fouling procedure during hunting season? Assuming you're shooting anything but BH209, you'd need to clean the barrel at the end of the day if you haven't shot an animal. Do you shoot a fouler first thing in the morning at Zero-Dark-Thirty am and then go hunting (assuming the shot hasn't scared away the animals?)

Will firing a few primers only have the same bore fouling effect?

Emrah

I sight my omega in For The First Shot Off Just A Primer Fouled bore. I don't really worry about where the group prints on the target when I'm shooting at the range cause I know my hunting shot is and inch and a half high dead center at a 100 yards. Hunting this way I can leave my gun loaded with 777 for a week or so without worrying about rust. Just keep the gun outside to not expose it to moisture bringing it in the warm house.

*sorry about the capital letters, my phones a dumb smart phone.

I've been told to fire three caps before loading up. The powder residue from the caps is not corrosive. I haven't tested it myself, but plan on this week to see if the impact on the second shot is different.

:D
When I was still shooting my V2 and MR I would be at the range the weekend before the season opened. I would shoot and leave the barrel fouled. As far as the cleaning goes I would only pull the breech plug and clean it thoroughly. The rifle stayed fouled until I harvested a deer or until the season was over. Every morning I would re seat the bullet just in case and put in the primer. Never had a problem with misses or hangs or rust......... I used Black horn 209 powder.
When I would just shoot at the range, I capped off 2 or 3 caps because if I didn't my POI with that first round was 2"s high and 2"s to the left. :(

Ray............ :yeah:

Sorry buddy. I just seen you aren't using Black horn :d'oh!:

I'm curious if the pop-a-few-primers thing works the same as actually shooting a real load. I won't be able to get to th range for another month!

Emrah

I would pop a primer on a clean and oiled gun just to clear the breach plug. I think I would try and find a better sabot/bullet fit in the off season.

Latest posts

Back