Simple Bullet Trap

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was musing about the other day, and decided I need a bullet trap for the backyard. We are semi-rural, neighbors around, corn field in back. I was going to join a range, but the hours are limited, and both are about 15 miles away. The younger Son likes to move beyond the quiet 22 ammo.

I'll try some pictures, but I checked the web and liked the rectangular box filled with sand, rubber(or carpet) on the near inside plywood to hold the sand in after holes were shot. I had about everything around except the sand.

I used 2x8"s for the sides, overkill with thickness for 22 ammo, but I plan to use it for high powered rifles and M-Ls too. It's all treated wood. The web results showed 30-06 rounds easily stopped as long as they were expanding bullets.

I have a 243 to re-sight since I had the scope off, then I need to fine tune the 45 cal Knight. As a side note I was looking at shooting benches, since I dismantled our picnic table. I was able to make a top for the Black & Decker 'Work-Mate' folding bench that works great to shoot off. Not any more cumbersome moving into position than any of the high $$ benches with the rotating tables(Big Shooter etc.).

Just a note. Our local gun shop had a range and a young employee cleaned the traps and for a variety of reasons it was indicated he got some lead poisoning. Unsure how often he did that but just be cautious on the lead removal.

So far it's been 22's and yesterday the 243. I have cast bullets in the recent past, but no plans to reclaim any lead. I have plenty on hand and this will take a while to accumulate a meaningful amount.

I really wanted the 243 sighted in, to be ready for that backfield coyote after the fields are harvested. There are up in arms on the edge of Milwaukee the last few days, a bold coyote or three took some pets. I don't let them get bold around here.

Back